RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I belive that my steering damper is worn out. There are lots of replacements to choose from, the majority being based on the original. However, for the same price as the standard type I can get one from terrafirma with a bigger tube and greater oil capacity.
This sounds great for longivity but there is no mention of whether the loading as been increased. I belive that Terrafirma usualy make stuff for off-road use so will fitting one of these just make my steering feel heavier? Or does it only effect sharp inputs from the wheels hitting an obstacle such as when off-roading and will be absolutely fine for normal road use?

The Range Rover is our primary source of transport so spends most of its time carrying out domestic duties on normal roads.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
since there are not mentions of any custom work on your vehicle such as bigger tires or other suspension modifications, I would suggest factory standard. often on an unmodified vehicle, aggressive dampers tend to make steering heavy and less driver input for normal use.
I'm sure other members will suggest their personal findings as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The vehicle is completely stock and you have confirmed my suspicion.

Cheers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have slightly bigger tyre on mine, and I think I've got a factory specs damper on mine, and that works just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
The standard steering damper does a good job for a sharp price, so no real reason to change.
On the other hand, TerraFirma has some real good products, so if you feel you could use an upgrade, it would be a good choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the stock damper about 1200 miles ago after it started leaking profusely. I put on a Terrafirma damper in anticipation of fitting larger tires. Definitely beefier than the stock one, if anything I think it improved the steering response.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with a TerraFirma damper as it sat comfortably between the cheap unbranded take a gamble option and the branded pricier version.

It has dulled the steering feel and numbed a fair bit of the self-centering which to be fair I suppose is to be expected.
I shall see if it breaks in or if I get used to it.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
If your suspension is in good shape, no need to change. "Steering dampers" only mask flaws/worn suspension parts or hide a poor toe-in adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
it depends on the state of you 'normal ' road. Here a steering damper gets far worse shocks in potholes than in the mud.
If in Stonehenge the roads are stone age i'dgo for the terrafirma. We fit a lot of these here and my Disco and the Classic Rangie are very happy with it. Didn't manage to wear one out yet. The Terrafirma front suspension shocks made 1 year of France and 3 years of Costa Rica. Rear ones are still OK

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just replaced mine with the Terrafirma. Easy to do and it made an improvement over
the old stock one. It has less of a wandering feeling on pavement and it’s tighter on dirt roads.
Took about 20 mins to swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts