RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My steering column is stuck in the most retracted position. Tilt works fine. I have managed to take off the plastic housing around the steering column, and the black plastic trim above the foot pedals so I can have a better view. I have looked at the post "Steering Column telescoping problems and solutions" on the website (http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/steering/reach3.html#replace). The motor is receiving power and wants to work; you can feel it when you move the stick. Also, I can see the "flexible drive" make a slight rotation before it stops in what looks like a nut (is that the "spindle nut"?). I have applied some lubrication to the spindle and shaft but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. It is not clear to me where the jamming is occurring? Is the spindle nut the problem, or is it the part on the shaft should be sliding up and down the shaft? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. I can send a short vid if that is helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have to say that has to be one of the most unhelpfull responses i have ever seen !!!
the guy clearly states he has looked at that page and worked through the info it contains.
I too have a problem with the reach motor not covered by that info .
what happened to the desire to help a fellow owner
regards kev

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Keeray70, mine got stuck too. The steering wheel would still extend with the seat memory, so I used the memory seat function buttons to get it to a comfortable place and adjusted everything around it, then saved that position. Now when I get in the car I just hit the button and it goes right into place. I hope this works for you because they discontinued the steering wheel adjusters.
-Steve

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,922 Posts
Ahh sorry I posted two links and things got fouled up so I erased one of them. now i see after refreshing this page i posted the same link to info.
I will see if I can find the other link with repair instructions

https://youtu.be/uEmBbLx49f8

watch this it should lead you how to fix it via youtube,
sorry about my other post linking the same info

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be clear, my problem was not the tilt motor, but the telescoping motor. Good news is that I was able to fix it myself. You don't need to take apart the plastic housing that surrounds the steering column (i.e, the 2-piece plastic housing that goes over the turn signals and wipers). That actually would have been a pain because for whatever reason, the screw holding the two pieces together wasn't "threaded" so I would have had to break it apart. I went in through the bottom, taking the black plastic cover in the foot well off that also goes behind the pedals. You have to remove the interior light and some other thing but was really easy. You can see that spindle nut I mentioned, and in the diagram of the page I attached earlier). You need to loosen the spindle nut and lube the shaft, and that is all it took. I think the spindle nut seizes over time as it gets jammed into every time the steering wheel fully retracts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts