RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle in my steering after hitting a bump - definately more of a rattle than a vibration/wobble (in my 2001 4.6 Vogue). Having checked a few things, I'm certain its happening above the steering intermediate shaft - so within the column. By moving the bottom of the column I can feel play in what i assume is the bottom bearing.

So, two questions if i may:

Has anyone had the steering column apart to check replace the bottom bearing?

Is anyone aware of the differences between the earlier column (ANR3751) and the later one (QMB101630) - changed at vin WA391392?

I currently have the later one fitted, but can get hold of the earlier one secondhand locally if they are interchangeable.

thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Did you ever get a response to this question? I've had a similar problem which has slowly been getting a little worse over a while to the extent that I find the steering vague, and like you say, a knock/rattle when going over undulating surfaces or a road surface that has an even/rough top to it.

I had a look today and expected to find the problem to be that the steering box needed adjustment but found that there was some wear in the steering shaft. from what I can work out. The UJs themselves are alright, but that the Joint in the shaft seems to have some play in it. I too thought that it was the lower bearing in the column but when I had the oneside held tight the lift was definate (and visible) in the joint in the shaft.

They're not cheap, but I am happy to replace it because it drives so horribly at the moment! However the only thing stopping me, is that im not sure if there's supposed to be some movement in that joint anyway?

Anyone had to replace this shaft, or had the same problem??

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave,

funny you should ask...

after no answers to my posting, i decided to go for it anyway. after a bit of searching on ebay, i managed to find the later shaft (the qmb type i had fitted to my 2001 4.6), brand new, genuine, land rover boxed for only £120 (list price is about £1,100 :shock: ) .

last week i removed my existing column (only took a steady couple of hours), and then i compared the two on the bench - it was as you thought, not the bottom bearing - it was indeed wear in the splines section. grasping either end of the column i was able to rock a few mm radial play and see it in the splines through the casing window in the centre of the shaft. doing that with the new one showed no play. i did notice if i slid the old one to its shortest setting, there was less/no play) as not been used in this position - so that may be worth a go for your testing.

I fitted the new one and the rattle is definately gone. there is still a wobble when over bumps which i always expected to be elsewhere in the steering/wheels/shocks etc, but the after-rattle has gone and has indeed improved the driving experience. However, not sure i would have spent over a grand on one (only paid two grand for the car), but for £120 it was worth it. A secondhand column would likely have the same problem i suspect :(

good luck.

neil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cheers Neil,

I was fortunate in a little way that the label with part number on is still visible on mine so I just jotted down the number and did a quick search on the net. Mine must be an earlier type or something as paddocks have them for 60quid.

I have read that taking some adjustment up in the steering box helps alot, which I plan to do when I do the shaft.

I had a ball joint go on the end of the steering arm so i changed them all and that certainly helped alot. I'm very much of the philosophy at the moment that if one needs dooing then mayas well change them all. They shouldn't need doing again!

Rebushing is also supposed to help restore things to as new but I think i'll do that when it's only really needed as I dont fancy the job to be honest!

Thanks for the reply

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dave,

think we are at cross purposes then.

ANR3698 is listed on paddocks site for £60 ish, but that is the Steering shaft (in engine bay, joins box to column).

My posts here were referring to Steering Column (in car, joins steering wheel to the Steering Shaft through the bulkhead) part numbers (ANR3751) and the later one (QMB101630) - and both expensive new....

The steering shaft in the engine bay should have no play in it as far as i'm aware. the splines are there to allow fitting, the UJ's should be firm, and the centre joint thing is there to fail in the event of a crash, but no play in normal use.

if you can see play in it, I'd replace for £60.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts