RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played around with the possibility of disabling the steering column automatic retract and extend feature. It seems to me to be an unecessary and a feature that leads to failure of the steering column components.

It would be nice to prevent the constant wear and tear. Who really needs the column to be constantly moving at every key start and stop.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
You are right. I feel like an old man when I see the column raising to let me exit the car. Luckily I am tall and now I just left it at its max up so it's not moving anymore...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yes, I feel the same as you.
When I had my periodic service at my local independant LR mechanic, I had him change some settings, including turning off the steering wheel entry/exit movements. It required one of the infamous interface computers. I forget which one he uses, but we wenty through the menu of selections, & adjusted accordingly. One feature that I prefer enabled is the auto-lock funtion to lock the doors when the vehicle is put into motion.

But back to the subject, now my steering column only moves when I manually use the adjustment control and when one of the seat presets is selected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is so simple to do!!

Start your car,put steering column highest up and furthest in,then adjust your seat and mirrors,turn car off and lock with remote,open with remote and your settings are saved forever.

I even done that on my new Range since my old one broke!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had him change some settings, including turning off the steering wheel entry/exit movements.
Ahhhh, so there is a method to programitcally disable the intrance exit movements. That is good to know. Time to start fiddling around with the communications protocols.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Could you also look into resetting the SRS (airbag) warning light? My heated driver seat is not working and when I removed the plug from under it, the airbag light came on and now it doesn't go off. Of course the heat continues to not work... Thank you.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is an option on the Faultmate list of settings to disable the steering wheel retraction and it'll remain where it was last set when you turn off the car. So its perfectly doable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Poor guy way to do this? (since I'm not certain I'm keeping the truck yet). Unplug fuse number 20. The only thing on that circuit is the steering wheel motor and the seat motor. If, like me, you are just about the only driver of your truck and you generally leave your settings alone, this works great. Just verified it doesn't affect anything else tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts