RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid there is a new steering box in my future for my 88 RRC. done shocks, doing bushings, did control arms, put in a new PS pump, still a bit dodgy on the steering (but a whole lot better) But i do have a couple inches of free play in the steering wheel. So am I correct in assuming it will require a new steering box to fix that? based on what i paid for a steering box on my ford Pick-up, I'm afraid to ask what the RR box will run. can I assume they are not rebuilable? and used is probably not a very good option - right?

anyone willing to talk me down off the ledge, or go ahead and push, I'm gunna have to bite the bullet at some point - right!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Isn't there a rubber flex joint in between the two UJoints on the intermediate steering shaft on older Classics?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have you replaced the lower steering shaft or, messed about with the adjustment nut on the steering box – it will take a few attempts to get it right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't remember on the 88's, chime in if I'm incorrect please, is the end joint on the Pitman arm one that can be rebuilt? That's another cause for steering play.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the great help guys, I'll get on this and do some detective work, I'll let you know what I find!

·
Registered
401 Posts
So you can adjust the play in you box, but you might end up with an oil leak as a result. There are two types of steering boxes used 3 bolt (early) or 4 (late), these are the number of bolts used to secure the top plate. I think most in the US are 4 bolt and these are easy to get. They have the same fit, but the thread for the hydraulic lines are different

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
And any remanufactured part you get will need paint. It will rust almost immediately. I live in the southwest on the semi arid plains and it is dry here and it was rusting within a month.

·
Registered
137 Posts
not sure if it is current, but I got this info quite a while ago. someone posted " I got a box from Import Steering for $225. Goodprice and the box has been working great. Call Carlos Castilas in Tacoma WA at(253) 472-2254" give it a try!

geneo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clean this up. replaced the powersteering box, that cured the "kickback"s, replaced ALL of the bushings, suspension and body got rid of the roll and sawing of the steering wheel. put on an alignment, new tires and new shocks - thing is a completely different vehicle, no bad habits, jumping around skittering on grooved pavement a thing of the past. all of a sudden, its a joy to drive! finally!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts