RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I know, 99MY and above uses ANR5320 steering box, does it differ for LHD & RHD vehicels? I will order online becuse it costs a fortune here and I could not find an used one.. And in addition, is this steering box repairable?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Steering boxes are such a rare replacement item why are you replacing it? Several folks here and in other forums have thought or were told by a shop that they had to replace thiers when a simple adjustment solved "wear" and slop. Others have had their rebuilt when seals have been leaking.

As far as differences the easiest would be to hit up a bunch of the parts sties and see if the part numbers differ between LHD and RHD, if there are even different listings. I can;t think of what the difference would be in the box itself, but I have never had to mess with one.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
if what your asking is, can the LHD fit RHD ? (and vice versa) Then yes there are casting differences which make's them 'handed' and so unfortunately they are not interchangeable. There is adjustment as RRTH says that can take up [a certain amount] of slack, but it must be used/done with care.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem is knocking while turning left, and a very rare disturbing vibration and noise on left turns again. I do not need to replace it now but may need in future, so just wanted to have a one in stock.

Btw, mine is not leaking, just those 2 noises described above.

I searched some online shops and found that ANR5321 is LHD and ANR5320 is RHD, but I am not sure that there is a difference between boxes..

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Well that's a bummer. Do the Disco II boxes fit the P38?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Scratch that question. THe Disco II boxes are quite different.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I searched some online shops and found that ANR5321 is LHD and ANR5320 is RHD, but I am not sure that there is a difference between boxes..
I think if you look closely you'll see a difference, they both mount on specific welded pads, outboard of the're respective chassis leg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts