RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for a new steering arm to my RRC -73.
Bought a new from Bearmach but it didnt fit, the spline was too big.

I see that bearmach have a repair kit for vehicles with serviceable droparms, but how do I know if my arm is serviceable?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your pictures didn’t post
I would think that if your arm could be serviced... give it a try..I have never tried this and I don’t think mine is serviceable..
Would it be possible to upgrade the steering box with steering arm ...
Just thoughts and good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I dont know if my arm is serviceable, and actually I dont think so :( because the lack of circlips.
Anyone who can tell from the picture?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would agree it does not look very serviceable. When you say the splines are too long, you mean it fits but you can't get the nut on?

Do you have power steering on an 73? From my research the power steering box comes in 2 options: 3 bolt imperial and 4 bolt metric. Bolts are the bolts on top that keeps the lid on. Both swap out apart from the hoses, but you can have hoses made with the correct fittings (or change the power steering pump with it). I would think the manual boxes have the same dimensions and maybe there is a later type manual box you could source and fit.

The 3 bolt power steering box (which my car has) is expensive. The 4 bolt is cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spline dont fit, the diameter is too big compared to the old.

I dont have power steering, may be this is good time to convert to power steering if it make it easier to find parts?
I think I have the 3 bolted variant now (without power steering).

It is hard to convert to power steering? Do I need more parts than the box, pump and hoses?

·
Registered
793 Posts
This idea is kinda “ out there “
But could you take it to a machine shop and have them take both arms
And fabricate them into one...
I would think finding this part is going to be tough
I am sure you know this
:devilish:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually been thinking about the same, I was thinking about cut the two parts I have in the middle and weld on the old spline to the new arm.

But there is a safety aspect too when it is a part for the steering, I do not want it to fail during driving :oops:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with the safety aspect
Of this...
This is why... if me...
I would take it to a fab shop for there imput... they may be able to cut it lower on the shaft and sleeve it and weld it... if it’s cast metal ..it may be touchy weld... I would want as much imput as possible

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now that LR is rebuilding and selling their Classics line, maybe you can order the original part from them?
Just a thought.
Not sure how you would go about that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
The arms are usually serviceable, there's a cover on the base of the ball joint to remove inside of which you find the entrance to the ball joint.

Post a picture of the underside of the ball joint end for us to see.

Both of the tracks that the ball runs on are replaced as part of the kit, so should give a complete solution to the problem as none of the arm itself is used as bearing surface.

As far as I know it's not a casting but forged steel. Technically weldable "potentially" but the welder would ordinarily want to know absolutely what material it is. Possibly you'd also need to stress relieve the finished item prior to use as well. Lots of problems in modifying it and it's probably the most loaded single component in the steering system!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don’t know if this is possible...
But...
Put it in a vice ...take a hammer and small chisel or punch ...
See if the cap is removable..
I don’t think it can be broken more.
The top might just be a dust cap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts