RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends. I recently completed an LT230 swap into a 95 RRC. Pretty straight forward swap. Everything works.

Do not know if this beep is related to the LT230 swap. I have had the whole thing pretty much apart over the past few months. :shock:

Does anyone know what a consistent BEEEEEEEEP (somewhat high pitch) coming from driver side under dash near column would suggest? I can only imagine it being one a few things that would trigger this.

Here is the weird part - It goes away if I giggle the key in the ignition while car is running....... Haven't tried to giggling to see if it returns once silenced... Need to determine that now that I think about it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Transferbox in neutral warning chime. Page 268 in the 87-91 WSM tells how to adjust or if I remember correctly, it's the purple wire going to audible warning box.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transferbox in neutral warning chime. Page 268 in the 87-91 WSM tells how to adjust or if I remember correctly, it's the purple wire going to audible warning box.
Thanks for the quick response. I am going to try to ground that wire out when I get home.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to chime back in on this and close it out. Seems I was bypassing the wrong plug in test. I was grounding out the T-case Temp sensor (rubber boot plug) and that was producing the engine light for high T-case temp. The T-case neutral plug is a plastic plug that is a bit north on the same loom that had gotten itself stuck above the shifter cable. After cutting that plug and splicing them together, the noise is gone. Job Done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
:D I too had to do this on my 95 recently

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resurrecting this thread. And maybe Slohybrid can chime in. This thread was initially started to a LOUD constant beep that started with Key in position 1 and continued into drive. Pretty much unbearable high pitch. It was fixed by cutting the plastic 2 wire plug and connecting the wires together.

Now..... I have a faint... ever so faint beep, only when car is running. This beep at first was mistaken for alternator whine / feedback from my complex bit of wiring towards the stereo system. Until I noticed the beep goes away when the car door is open, and dome lights are on. Infact if i press the plunger in the door jam with the door open the faint beep starts right up.

I believe this to be related to the transfer case. Found this thread - https://discoweb.org/showthread.php?t=79083

I
n this thread i draw my attention to RAVE electrical diagram ETM C1. Where it discusses F13.

Basically the circuit is as follows.
F13
C226 Pin 2 White/yellow
K186 Relay Transfer case warning. Its behind the glove box.
C2046 Pin 86 White/yellow
C2046 Pin 85 Black
X175 Transfer case Position switch
C368 Pin 3 Green
C368 Pin 2 Light green
E201 Ground
Relay K186 is energised when transfer lever is in Neutral position and the alarm should be on. Any other position it should be de-energised and the alarm off.

The poster said they tie'd the loom up under the T-case and the noise stopped. It got dark last night, and I did not get that far. What I did realize is pulling K186 did some weird things. (and i do understand the MFU is the reason for much of this) but i digress

Pulling K186 - beeping stops. Dome lights no longer work. Front defrost light is illuminated (unsure if it will turn off, probably not) Dome lights and chimes no longer sound or illuminate... and here is the kicker.... The Map lights under the rear-view mirror; which I have traced and traced and could not find an answer as to why they do not work, all of a sudden start working.... HAHA :think:

Rovers....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update - checked relay, swapped with a known good one, problem still exists. Decided to pull it for this trip and ride without door open dome lights. Will fix next week...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update - checked relay, swapped with a known good one, problem still exists. Decided to pull it for this trip and ride without door open dome lights. Will fix next week...
Good idea, there are more pressing issues haha :wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea, there are more pressing issues haha :wink:
next on roadkill... mike tries to drive his classic to vermont...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was going to suggest just to unplug the warning box but after looking at the Rave, it seems like the chimes on a '95 comes from the MFU... is that true?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to suggest just to unplug the warning box but after looking at the Rave, it seems like the chimes on a '95 comes from the MFU... is that true?
yes, I believe the MFU is the source of the beep. Which is also related to why removing the "transfer case warning relay" causes issues with other unrelated components like the door chimes and interior door light delays... Just odd because this beep is SO faint.... its just enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Resurrecting my own thread...

Does anyone know what the source of the chimes for an MFU are? Do I have to crack open an MFU to get it to stop? Now that we hit daylight savings time, its REAL dark in the classic with no interior door lights =/

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had a similar issue on my '93. I replaced my borg warner with an LT230 and the beep still wouldnt go away after taking care of the neutral switch. I ended up finding the "beepinator" and isolated the offending wire. Removed the wire and no more beeping. I wrote it up in my lt230 thread but it may very well be different to your '95. My beepinator was behind the lower dash on the driver's side.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha! I read your thread. Mine seems to be coming from the MFU. When I have the fuse box and MFU out tomorrow, I am going to take a look at the wiring. Seems the wire is Black with a purple stripe. If the new MFU i got from paul grant doesnt fix the glitch I will start playing jack bauer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
good luck! don't forget to update for posterity!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts