RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
2002 Range Rover (see below). Outdoor temp in Memphis has been around 95 degrees of late. Will start when cold. It runs x 5-9 minutes, then dies and will not restart. 2-4 hours later,
it will restart, and rinse & repeat... No Codes.

Have read Forums. Cleaned MAP sensor. Added SeaFoam to gas. Replaced Relay and fuse 39.
Same story. Rig does not have an external fuel filter (Rave indicates it does). In-tank fuel pump
apparently has a mesh screen under it that serves this purpose.

I suspect (begrudgingly) the fuel pump. Anyone have this happen to them and solved the problem?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
+1 on Crank Position Sensor. They will normally die when hot when they start to fail. Cold water or, if you have some, freezer spray.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris & Richard,
It'll be tomorrow before I can check this. Thanks for putting me onto it. I would not have come up with that.
Where exactly is the CPS on an 02 P38?
Vancer

·
Registered
341 Posts
Underneath the truck. Google search the image. I found a picture pretty quickly that way.
ERR 6169. $20 on eBay. Free shipping. Make sure you clean the connectors. I can’t seem to post pictures from my iPhone anymore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that RRToadHall and Crow. I'll add Petro to my signature.
Vancer

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you can’t see it straight away, there’s a silver ( or mine is) plastic cover over the sensor, just look for something the size of an egg with wires going to it, just to be Land Rover, the nuts on the cover, are a different size to the ones below holding the cps..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All,
Replaced Crank Position Sensor (CPS) and rig starts right up and stays running. Your diagnosis was right on (Chris & Richard). The CPS electrical connector, which should have been bolted to the firewall(?) by a mounting, was just dangling, unattached, with its mounting in place on the CPS sensor side of the electrical connector.

As I could not see the CPS wire (except right by the sensor itself) but saw the unattached mounting bracket between the exhaust pipe and the firewall, I cut the CPS wiring about 2" away from the old sensor. I then got on top of the engine and could reach down and feel that end of the wire and pulled it up topside. I could not see anything from the top due to the brake fluid reservoir/master cylinder, coil packs & HT leads occluding the line of sight.

This enabled me to disconnect the old sensor connection from the connector to the wiring loom. I then was able to situate the loom connector (sprayed it with MAF cleaner) so I could snap (faint click) the new CPS sensor fitting to it. I put a plastic bag over the new sensor, dropped it down, then unbolted the old sensor, bolted on the new one, and zip-tied the wire to the Brake lines. Rig has 143K miles and I will likely be its last owner. I'm content with the zip-ties. Will upload photos later.
Vancer

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice fix and follow up. My 02 with 130 miles will probably need the CPS sensor replaced in the future. At least now I know the procedure. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again,

Here are some commented photos that I hope will help others. I searched the forum for CPS and found requests for photos, but no photos. More to follow.
Thanks everyone.
Vancer

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope these photos and comments help. Should be "bag" and not "bang." Should be "5/16" and not "5/15."

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a photo of the CPS. The pot metal collar came apart when I took the Sensor off the transmission bell housing.
The new CPS came equipped with the collar.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
I always forget your lhd, on ours the only thing down that side of the engine is the cps, no brake accumulator . Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I always forget your lhd, on ours the only thing down that side of the engine is the cps, no brake accumulator . Glad you got it sorted.
true, it becomes even more confusing when dealing with tech-line. I need to keep in mind when they say drivers it means right hand side uk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts