Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What steps should I take in getting the truck to turn over after it's been sitting (without fuel) for about 5 years? The truck was pretty-well maintained. There was a coolant leak prior to storing the truck. Anyone have advice?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
82 Posts
Coolant leak probably means the head gasket is shot.
There should still be some oil in the cylinders and hopefully no rust build up. As a precaution, you can remove each spark plug, and put, I don't know, about a 1/2 tablespoon of oil in. Let it sit overnight and lubricate the piston rings. Then put gas in the tank and try to start her up. I did this with mine that had been previously stored for 5 years and she started right up. Post some pics of your Rover.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
HUH? Sorry, no offence, but I fail to grasp a "coolant leak" as a head gasket issue. There simply is not enough info provided to jump that far. Then again long term RR owners jump to the worst and hope for the best. :lol:

I have brought many an old rig back to life from a field or garage. Check the fluids, toss some gasss in and see what happens. It'll run... or it won't. If it runs then you can start tweeking things to get everything up to snuff.

AFter five years expect the lifters to rattle like mad, tranny to be slow to enguage and brakes might stick from caliper pins being rusted.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
82 Posts
You are right. I always suspect a blown head gasket whenever I hear coolant is low (leaking coolant). I do jump to the worst and hope for the best :]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts