RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had intermediate starting problems since the day I got my 2007 range rover hse. Somedays it starts and others I have power in the dash but wont, but I do get a click at the starter. I am thinking it is a loose ground somewhere. How many does a range rover hse have and locations of them that would interfere with starting? Hopefully I can get this figured out, it is highly annoying

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
Might be a bad starter relay (easy fix) but its probably the starter itself. My 06 had the random no start problem, when it happened, you could tun the key on and off a few times and it would start fine and then it might not happen for another week. Then one day it wouldn't start no matter what I tried. New starter solved the problem. Not a tough job, but you need long skinny hands to reach up where the starter bolts are to get it off and back on. Top bolt is totally blind you have to work by feel or use one of those little USB cameras to see where the bolt goes. Mine happened around 140K miles, but alot of my miles are highway so the starter wasn't being used 20 times a day.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
43 Posts
I agree with Mark, mine was doing the same thing, 90 percent of the time worked fine than turn the key and...,nothing! Turn it a few more times and she would light right up. I ended up just replacing the contacts located in the solenoid assembly of the starter, but you can find starters that are rebuilt just get the right one(which is why I just replaced the contacts). The job involves removing a few heat shields and some plastic as well as a few options on lengths of 3/8” drives and a swivel joint. A small mirror and a decent flashlight help too. There are a few write ups and the bottom bolt is no problem but the top one is real fun! It’s not that bad a job but just make sure you are in a good place and your jar full of patience is full before you proceed. And small hobbits hands help as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts