RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RRS HSE. A few days ago my wife called saying the engine had died as she was getting to the store. She shut the car down, exited, re-entered and it started so she moved into a space and went shopping. I was out of town and fortunately when she returned it started normally and she made it home. I returned home 5 days ago and have been driving it around with no return of the failure. Yesterday, however it returned and would only restart for about 10 seconds and then die again. The first time it happened I was driving and noticed both the speedometer and tacho both dropped to half their value coinciding with loss of power and when the power returned they returned to where they left off, but only for another couple of minutes, and it subsequently died at the next traffic light.

Had it towed home and of course I immediately suspected the Crankshaft Position Sensor, as did my friend who works at Land Rover. Given the way the speedo and tacho acted this was the obvious choice. So I picked up a new one and installed it today, guess what? No change. :sad: This would now point to the fuel pump, relay or perhaps some other sensor. Exchanged the fuel pump relay with another one and still no change. When it cranks I can smell un-burned fuel so I am thinking the fuel pump is also working fine. I am now guessing no spark but haven't tested that, is there an easy way aside from pulling a plug and coil?. Battery is in perfect shape. I have checked the ECU and other connectors behind the battery for corrosion, all good. What other sensors should I be looking at? Camshaft sensor perhaps? I have an OBDII scanner and there are no codes of any kind to give me a clue. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update. There is definitely no spark. As I said earlier the problem is not related to the Crank Position Sensor, replacing that made no difference. I have 2 keys, both do the same thing. Could an alternator failure stop the truck from starting? The only other thing I can think off is vehicle immobilization failure but the doors will lock and unlock with the keyfobs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after testing everything, removing battery, checking all ECU connections and wiring harnesses it turned out to be the main 70A relay for the ECU in the engine bay battery compartment, R6. Swapped the one in there with the heated windshield and the truck fired up. Been running fine for the last 3 days, no recurrence of the problem. After a week I'll be happy to say it's solved. Weird thing is both relays test fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after 2 months of running perfect the problem has returned. Exactly the same symptoms as before. It is the strangest thing and I am starting to think all kinds of things like fuel pump, catalytic converter. The crank sensor is new, plugs are less than 10,000 miles old, pulled them just a few weeks back and they all look good. There are no codes at all. Really bizarre. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Clearly, you need to revisit the same relay as last time. A guess: water or condensation is shorting the relay. A little WD40 (or equivalent) and a new relay?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim,
Tried that and didn't work this time. I am thinking that doing a few things the last time all together reset the ECU, obviously only temporarily, and now the problem has returned. It is strange that it has taken 2 months for this to come back, I am digging into today but tragically it is parked outside and it's -3 today, not exactly ideal weather to be out in.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Then, maybe the temperature sensor at the cross over pipe. This sends a message to the ECU telling it the car is cold (-3, wow) and to enrich the mixture at start up. Works like chokes in the old days. When they go bad, the car thinks it is warm outside -- no start.

United States is a big place. Where?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kansas City, MO. I believe it is a failing fuel pump. 2 year old battery turned out to be bad as well so installed a new battery under warranty. Truck immediately started so I frantically drove it to me house and into my 60 degree garage. It ran for about another 10 minutes and promptly snuffed again. Now will occasionally start, probably better battery is making the pump work harder. Still dies after 10 seconds or so. I am going to replace the pump on the weekend and hopefully be done for a while. This truck has 292,000 miles on it, 275,000 of which I have put on it since 2007. Aside from old age typical maintenance like this it runs like a clock, burns no oil, no leaks, suspension works perfectly with the original air compressor that I rebuilt myself after an aftermarket one failed. Struts were replaced 6 years ago and haven't been touched since. All round it's been a great truck, love this 4.4L engine, seems like it will run forever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts