RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a funny (not really) thing happened this morning when I tried to leave for work. Opened the truck, pressed the start button and it wouldn't start and acted like I turned on the accessories. Message on the screen in front of the steering wheel said "smart key not detected" and I saw on the centre screen the "low battery" warning. Went into the house, grabbed the second key fob, tried again, same thing. Managed to find a garage door opener with the same style battery and used it. It worked. When I finished work, same thing happened. Took me a few tries to get it started. Stopped and picked up new batteries, swapped out the old ones. But again, the Range Rover had a hard time turning over. No indication this time what the issue may be. Aside from hooking up a multi meter to the battery, how would I know if it needs replacement?

Everything I've read today points to the battery in the key fob, and I think I took that out of the equation with the new battery for it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked the car battery voltage and it was 10.36 volts. Turned on the engine and it jumped to just over 14 volts. Bad battery, or just the result of me trying to start it a few times earlier?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
10.36 stationary voltage is a battery with a failing battery or a dead cell. 14v is minimum for alternator output so you are actually read the alternator pumping voltage to the battery in an attempt to charge. If your measure the voltage at the alternator out put post you are likely to see more along the lines of 14.3v or 14.4v. You may have corroded cable

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worth changing the battery? The truck has just over 40,000 kms on it, and I think it's the original battery.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
838 Posts
A battery that reads just 12 volts after resting is pretty well a dead battery. Should sit around 12.5 to 12.7. Six or seven years is about the normal lifetime for a car battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happened again this morning. First attempt to start - nothing. Wait about a minute to try again and it starts. The sound of the initial crank, makes me feel it's the battery. Hopefully that's it.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
The battery is six years old. Time to get a new one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, new battery installed - starts like a champ! Kept the old one too. Will try to charge it. Maybe use it as an emergency spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts