RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i developed an issue when i start the truck, it doesnt turn over, then after a few more tries, it cranks and starts. what should i replace, I assuming the starter, just want to make sure, im also at 113k miles

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi there jchhiminey,

What condition is your battery in?
Also check your cables running to the starter motor for corrosion (and the ground as well).
That should keep you busy for a little bit :)

Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, saturday I think I figured out the problem. Check Engine came on and black smoke out the back. Smell fuel on the oil cap, plus dip stick is barely showing any oil and no coolant left. Head Gasket! Any tips on this, I'll obviously go search around some more, but off the top of your head for doing this major task.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it overheated and i added coolant the day prior. thought it was leaking from the heater core o-ring. there was already a slight leak there, i just kept my eye on the levels. i let my friend borrow it a month ago, as he was coming to return it, the hose coming off the radiator had punctured and was spraying coolant everywhere, im sure it had overheated then but he said it didn't and i just happened as he pulled in the driveway, but he probably frantically drove it home overheated. i changed the hose and added coolant, everything was good until this past weekend and the check engine light came on. next day i tried to drive it, i smelled something weird, looked in the mirror and there was black smoke billowing out the tailpipe. i shut it down, checked fluids, no oil or coolant could be found, added both, then tried to restart it again when a buddy came over to check it out. now it makes the clicking noise like its going to turn over, but doesn't, which is the issue i initially created this thread for. hmmm. gonna pull it apart on when I get a sec, for now its the bus/trying to find a cheap honda to drive for a little bit til i can bring her back up. FML

I'm taking recommendations for Gasket Kits if anyone has any.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
As far as head gaskets (most important) I would use Victot Reinz, Elring or Payen.
For the rest like valley gasket, valve stem seals, rocker cover gaskets I'd go Britpart/Atlantic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts