RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First it wouldnt even turn. found out it was the starter relay. Now it has to crank a few times before starting and when it does it idles way bad goes from 600rpms to 1500rpms back to 500... and wont idle at one speed. Then when i am driving and come to complete stop it dies.. i cant figure this out i was told it was the vacuum advance from the "very shady shop" it was at. They removed the vacuum line off the advance so i put one on still doing it. The vacuum advance in my opinion holds vacuum so... i dont know! any suggestions

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
What state are the HT leads, coil, distributor cap and rotor arm in? If these are non genuine items or are getting on a bit, then replace them.

The Rover V8 only works properly with a genuine cap and arm, good quality leads and most people recommend a Bosch coil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All are good and genuine lucas parts with bosch leads, as you said. rotor arm is good just got a new vacuum and there is a big difference between them. What all problems would come with a bad vacuum advance??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New issues!!! Will not accelerate over 30mph will only backfire if i try to... No clue where to start or what to look at :?

·
Registered
272 Posts
You should probably take your AIC [Automatic Idle Control] valve off, clean its little cone valve and the seat, then lubricate it. That hunting idle speed and dying at a stop are classic signs of a gummed up AIC valve. The inability of the AIC valve to fully close will manifest itself just like a vacuum leak, and it needs to fully close whenever you start driving.

Thinking about vacuum leaks, double-check all your vacuum hoses at both ends and in between for splits or holes. The two hoses behind the intake manifold are easy to forget about, so check those too.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts