RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey LR fellows,

need some support from the electro wizards on the forum...

The starter on my 1990 RRC is acting up from time to time. symptoms are from weak to hesitant starter turning to no starter movement at all (turn the key and only relais clicking can be heard).

so far i checked and eliminated the following as reason:

Alternator (spits out 14.2 - 14.4 v)
Battery (did run a couple of tests and all seems fine)
Battery and alternator cables (all replaced)
all ground cables checked and cleaned

yesterday I went through the ignition wiring from lock through the
2 relais all the way down to the solenoid. all seems to work fine.

the only irregularety which I could figure out was that "only" 11,5 V hit the solenoid from the starter relais and this goes even down to 10,5 V when the AC runs during the starting.

Is this a sufficent current to operate the starter as it is supposed to be?

For test purposes I have wired the starter solenoid directly to the battery and then it starts up straight and powerful.

feeling like adding a second starter circle with a starter button as back up for the ignition lock. like most newer cars have these days.

obviously this will just cover but not solve the root cause of the problem...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like it's probably the battery, i'm guessing as it's a GCC spec car you're out in the Gulf?

I had almost the exact same symptoms, the car would start well sometimes and then I might find after pulling in for fuel it wouldn't restart at all - totally dead - only for it to come to life again 10 minutes later. Like you, I checked all the wiring and even had the battery tested at the garage and they claimed it was fine only for it to completely pack in a week later. A new battery and everything's running smoothly again.

The only other thing I would suggest would be the starter motor but if that turns fine when you jumper it, then it's probably OK.

I think it's the constant heat out here that kills them really suddenly, you're very unlikely to get more than 2 years out of one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a problem with my '89 where it would just 'click' when trying to start. I never had the weak starter problem.

In my case, it ended up being the starter solenoid. I replaced that, and the starter has worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've not had this on my rangie but my old 944turbo did exactly that.
Usually fine, occasional single click from the relay when the ignition was turned but try it again and it was fine until one day all I got was the click.
Stripped the starter off - solenoid is integral to this - not sure about the rangie yet - and had this recon and a new solenoid and all was well. In fact better than well, it has never spun so fast in my ownership!
A good battery does make a lot of difference too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had similar problems, including getting it to work after hitting the starter motor with a geologist hammer.
I bet you have a funky solenoid. I went through five in a row, including OEM Lucas. None died outright -- it was pretty frustrating.
See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38561. So far, "j e robison service co" has proved right.
I recommend viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38614. As for part-swapping, this has been a good upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had this problem 12 months ago. I could start the car with jumper cables to the starter. It turned out to be an earth wire that was corroded. It looked fine though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
benji said:
I had this problem 12 months ago. I could start the car with jumper cables to the starter. It turned out to be an earth wire that was corroded. It looked fine though.
The earth wire you speak of, is that just the ground wire, or is it a completely different wire? I was looking through to haynes manual and it mentoned an earth wire, but i just assumed it meant a ground..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZLandrum said:
benji said:
The earth wire you speak of, is that just the ground wire, or is it a completely different wire? I was looking through to haynes manual and it mentoned an earth wire, but i just assumed it meant a ground..
Earth and ground should be the same. But watch out - there is not only one. I have found so far 6 in my car and would be surprised to find more in the rear end of the car. :eek:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've had problems similar to this on several occasions, with different causes.

The obvious first cause is the starter or solenoid, but I don't think that's your problem. They tend to work or not work.
Also I've had problems with the wiring that triggers the solenoid, but again that's an all or nothing problem.

A sluggish starter has all the symptoms of a bad battery or a bad connection somewhere. I was getting sluggish starting and also the battery light would occasionally come on while driving, despite having a new battery. The problem was a bad connection where the lead from the alternator and the lead from the battery meet at the starter motor.

Basically, with the engine running you need to use a voltmeter to measure the voltages:
Across the battery
Between the Alternator +ve and the battery -ve
Between the Alternator +ve and the body of the alternator.

That should give you a basic steer on whether the full charge is reaching the battery from the alternator. Also measure between the alternator +ve and the battery +ve because if you're losing charge somewhere, you will see a small difference in voltage between these two +ves which will show as a voltage on the meter. Do the same between the Alt+ve and the +ve on the starter to see if there's a voltage drop there.

Basically, just test voltages everywhere and see if you can find a voltage drop, but the most telling tests are carried out between two +ve connections because that's when you can see the voltage drop if you have a bad connection.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about a loud clunk when trying to start it? I just got another starter (last one lasted a year and a month) and the starter i just got broke itself off, broke it's bracket. So i took it back, and got another one, installed it - and now when i turn the key i'm just getting a loud "CLUNK!" then nothing, obviously i haven't tried that more than twice or so, seeing as i don't want to take back 3 broken starters in one week. Any clue as to what may be causing this? I'm sure it's connected properly, did the flywheel get out of time somehow, or something of that nature? Thanks in advance!-

Zach

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are sure that the starters are the right ones ... you might inspect the flywheel for damages or missing teeth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what would be the best way to examine the flywheel, to see if the teeth are damaged? Also, how hard would it be to replace it, probably hard enough to just take it to the shop? thanks guys, everything seems top notch now, except the fact that it doesn't want to start.

Zach

1 - 13 of 13 Posts