RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is an '01 Holland & Holland. I suddenly have a v-loud pop in the audio system when starting the engine. Logic says it is the spark suppressor on the starter motor. Before changing the motor assembly can anyone tell me if there are any other suppressor capacitors in the system that could be the culprit? The starter works fine but I don't like voltage transients getting into the various electrical sub-systems. Is the capacitor available or is it part of the starter assembly? Advice appreciated. Dave E

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Spark suppressor on the starter motor? :think:

I've changed brushes in P38 starters and I have never seen a "spark suppressor" or capacitor on or in the starter.

Does your H & H have the DSP amp? It's more likely you have a corroded ground or connection in your sound system. When you start your rig the radio and amp(s) get power for brief moment as the ignition switch passes over the "on" position then the radio power is cut while in the start position.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
I believe that, unless you need a new starter, You will be tossing money where it is not needed.
In cases I have seen, an arcing starter will not cause a Pop, it will cause a static whine, also gotta agree with TH, I have never sen a cap or choke in a starter on a P38. My own 02 here with Dsp has started popping when first switched on and before hitting the starter. If I did not pause between pos II and crank it will sound as you described. I also know I have a corroded plug somewhere in the stereo wiring that has gone intermittent, and intend to go through all plugs this winter to clean and grease the connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts