Range Rovers Forum banner

starter motor relay issue

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  scott.k 
#1 ·
Hello all,
ive got a 1996 range rover
I have had an issue with my starter motor relay or the wiring going to it, and I am stumped. About a week ago my car wouldnt turn over in the key start position. I got it towed home

Currently:
-With the starter relay out and the key in accessories on position, i can start the car with a jumper wire across terminal 3 to 5 of the starter relay
-With someone holding the key in car start position, using a voltage tester, I can measure 12v across the terminals 1 to 2 of the relay
-I have 3 different starter relays (one old AMR and two new YWB all of them yellow) and none of them work in the car (even though one of them is brand new)

so what could it be that prevents the car from starting with the relay in but allows the relay to be jumped with a wire and still measures 12v when cranking across ports

thanks for the help guys, im trying to get this thing back on the road

#2 ·
Fuse box most likely. It could be that one of the tracks on the fuse box is damaged so that when you plug the relay in it actually breaks the contact and then it won't start. I'd be inspecting the fuse box pretty closely..

#3 ·
You should have a permanent 12V from maxi fuse 2 on terminals 1 and 3. Earth is applied to terminal 2 from the BeCM when the key is turned which operates the relay so power goes through the contacts and out to the starter solenoid from terminal 5. So it sounds like everything is correct. But, it is possible that the contacts in the fusebox have come away from the circuit board so don't make contact when the relay is pushed in but do as you pull it out. Try only putting the relay in part way and then wiggling it while someone holds the key in the start position. That may make it at least try to operate. If that is the case, then you need to ge=ive the fusebox a little TLC, see http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/fusebox.html.

Seems Marty has the same diagnosis as me......

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys

Unfortunately I had no luck with wiggling the relay around while having someone holding the key in the start position (no attempt to turn over at all).

I measured again and am getting 10.6x volts across 1 to 2 both with the key out of the ignition and with the key turned to accessory on mode.

If this still seems like faulty wiring/connections ill try to disassemble the fuse box and see if there is anything obvious

as for maxi fuse 2, is that the large bus fuse #2 to the right side of the relays? that seems to be fine if that helps at all

it seems weird to me that if would be a loose connection being that it works every time with a jumper wire and I can still measure 10.6v across

thanks again for the help

-scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.