RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my starter needs to be changeed out on my 99 bosch. The little wire connect on the motor not the big lead wire but the other one completely rotted away. How do you get to the top bolt and what size allen head to use. Looked at the rave cd and it said to access from the top but how. For now driving my 04 Freelander so quick responses would be great. Any links on install. Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
You need a rather long extension with socket and a rachet. goes on top of the engine mounting, in other words from the front of the engine, its abit of a bugger at first but you get the hang of it after you do a few.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man thanks for the quick reply. Now where do I go from the top. Outside on my laptop looking for links. Nothing. Do you know what size torque or allen head it is.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you havnt done it yet, its a alllen key (cap screw) 5/16, you will need a few different length extensions to just get the right length, top bolt is tough one but lower is a breeze, disconnect battery 1st or you short out tp earth

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just did mine not too long ago. Viperover is exactly right. It was one short and one medium extension, or one medium and one long depending on how one looks at it. I remember a lot of cursing at the top bolt. It was real difficult to get to and work on; I think I had to sort of feel with one hand while trying to place the end of the wrench blind with the other.
I think I used a post by P38arover where he described how to do it to get me through it, but I cant find it now with search.. :?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I walked away from it for now. I'll try back another day. Also been searching for a link on the procedure. Thanks guys

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
lowwill said:
Yeah I walked away from it for now. I'll try back another day. Also been searching for a link on the procedure. Thanks guys
Do you not have a copy of RAVE yet? Electrical / Repair / Starter Motor. includes step by step directions as well as a picture of where to place the extentions to get to the top bolt.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I tried that a few months back when my starter packed in, it was such a PITA to get the hex into the top bolt and then to get any torque on the rachet due to the steering arms being in the way, ended up taking the wheel arch liner out and going in from the side with an allen key

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it done. LIRA did it the same way. Very easy like that. Thanks again guys for help

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
May you tell me how long lasted the original one?

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
I replaced my factory starter at 160K miles as a trouble shooting measure. I have it cleaned up and on the shelf for when someone needs a spare.

·
Registered
865 Posts
For these kinda odd jobs a flex mirror tool is very useful, cheap as chips cos they're made in Tong Fong, along with a magnifying glass to carry out EAS valve block repairs I rate this tool a must in Range Rover workshop or tool box..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts