RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!

After being switching out my crank shaft position sensor, the stalling stopped. It runs great, when it runs. But guess what?!? Now, for some reason the rover won't start when parked. I'd have to play with the shift to make it start. So for the past couple weeks, it would intermittently wont start, I'd slide the shift to Reverse, drive and back to park while it is on start position and a trigger would indicate a start then I would start the engine and it would turnover. Yesterday, the same thing happened, I tried my little trick and nothing. No start at all. Had it towed to a shop. They insisted it was the starter, changed it out and still no start.

I told them what I've been doing and now they are checking on the neutral safety switch?

Please someone help!! They quote me for the starter job $309. No start. Now they are exploring more....and if the neutral safety switch is bad...they are estimating another $500.

Do I need to abort? What do I do?

Completely lost and confused P38 owner.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Shoot Scotty a PM, he has the "XYZ" switch you need. It was obvious it was the switch all along IMHO. You need to get a partial refund or something. If you have to wiggle the gearshifter, that is an automatic neutral safety switch issue, NOT a starter.

Martin

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
I hope thay haven't changed the starter motor yet.

This is the gearbox position (XYZ) switch which is easy to change but expensive to buy: http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/dr ... ector.html

As far as I can read from the workshop manual, this switch is the one that tells the gearbox ECU what gear the box is in.

It could be out of adjustment. Mine was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep they changed the starter. :oops:

I will definitely bring this up to them. Weren't they suppose to at least test the old starter to see if it was in fact a starter problem before they change it? I am wondering about this...

I will forward this to Scotty...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
You are down the road from him, so to speak.
They should test the starter, but any half azzed "mechanic" should know it was the gear selector switch by the symptoms. I know in Jeeps and Range Rovers alike, the symptoms you described would have me looking at the switch, and never the starter....
Who replaced the starter out of curiosity? Name of shop?

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts