Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the starter motor should be drawing?

What prompted the question was--I was driving and the tach went crazy, sppedometer went crazy, ac off, and then temp guage spiked-so I immediately pulled over and turned off the rig--checked engine not overheating at all. Tried to restart-click click--had it towed home--figured it was the battery or alternator. Charged up the battery and took it to Autozone where they tested it(after charging battery to full charge) sure enough it was the alternator that was bad. But they also said the starter was drawing about 350 amps on start and was probably going bad.

RR has about 168,000 on it.

thus the prompt for the question.

If money was no object I'd probably just put a new one on anyways...but..if I can wait awhile it would make my wallet feel a bit better!!!

Thanks
Ron

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Not sure what the correct rating is but the starter is the same across all years of P38 as well as Disco, Disco II, NAS Classics and Defenders. Last one I purchased was under $200 from AB. I have also bought them from autopartswarehouse.com for about $120.

It's a Bosch 331.303.006.808 if that helps your search

G

·
Starter motor current could certainly initially peak at 300A or so (ie. momentarily) but will quickly drop to 50-100A once steadily cranking
(depending on specific load, compression issues, temperature, etc)
but it will only do that (constantly) for a few minutes (as we know..)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what the correct rating is but the starter is the same across all years of P38 as well as Disco, Disco II, NAS Classics and Defenders. Last one I purchased was under $200 from AB. I have also bought them from autopartswarehouse.com for about $120.

It's a Bosch 331.303.006.808 if that helps your search
Thanks--not sure if it was the best idea but went to Autozone as its the only local place where I am right now--$223.00 after core

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.