Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every have to replace their starter on these vehicles? Everything is running smooth on my vehicle as I do lots of preventative maintenance on it. I suspect at some point the starter will go. Do I just have to wait for it to go, or can it be tested? I realize everyone has different circumstances for their vehicle, but was curious how long I can expect from the original starter.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You just jinxed yourself...let me know if you would like the post deleted before the bird of bad karma drops a load on your RRS.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
I went 7 years and 210K+ miles on my 2006 Sport without a problem with starter or alternator, they were still the original ones when I sold the car. I only had starting issues due to dead batteries over those 7 years and replaced a number of them, that was it. But like goosey said, it's too late for you.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I jinxed myself, I'll set the over/under at 130k. Keep you posted. Hopefully I'm not in Timbuktu when it happens. Maybe I should buy a spare and leave in the glovebox.:twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I haven't seen the starter motor itself fail on one of these yet. But replace several for failed solenoids. Due to the way it fails, There really isn't much you can do to know when it will, or keep it from failing.

Usually it will progress from 'not turning over on the first try, then working fine on the second' to 'not working at all' over time, so change it out when you find yourself needing to turn the key more then once to fire it up instead of waiting for it to stop completely for you, because it will, and it won't be at a good time.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
So another thing to add to my list of fixes. 2nd time it happened to me now, since last month. Is it better to do the whole starter or just the solenoid, since you have to take the starter out anyway right, just a matter of cost ~400 for new starter vs ~135 for the solenoid.

Need to go grocery shopping for parts
1. 2 X Front LCA bushings
2. 1x Rear UCA bushings
3. Thermostat - TBD
4. Starter or solenoid - TBD

Any tech (Dave ??) want to fly down to TX and do this for me ..all expenses paid :)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The starter on my Toyota is up to 260K and going strong. No reason, unless its an internal problem, why you need a whole new starter if its just a solenoid. You haven't been banging on it to start it, right?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Clunck noise a few times recently, with subsequent tries and it starts. Solenoid is in the starter, and need to go through the whole hassle of removing the starter, to replace the solenoid. Just wondering after all that work, would it be worth to replace the whole starter, ~400 vs ~150 for a solenoid. Would the starter last me at least another 150k miles / 6-7 years with a solenoid replacement?

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
due to how much work it is to change a starter i would go ahead and change the whole thing i am guessing you are not doing it yourself and that will get very expensive if you need to take it out again

the starter on my 2006 RR SC 4.2 has 226k miles starts fine everyday i have noticed that it is a very good idea to change batterys on these models every few years and you should not have any problems with starter or alternator

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been hAving on and off issues on my car with 113k miles on it. Is the absence of pre clicks (thaT occur when you turN your key to the last location before firing) sigN od a bad solenoid?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine died at 61k. Its not an uncommon repair. I went with OEM because i was at the mercy of the dealer... can get a cheap reman with a lifetime warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts