Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

So I have had the itch to find myself a RRC but wanted to get your advice on what to look for. My intentions will be to keep the car as original as possible and just restore it. No intentions to turn car into an off road vehicle. I already own a G wagen that I love.

On my search I found a few RRC down in SoCal. I reached out to one in particular. It is a 1989 with 96k miles. I spoke with seller but he really wants a quick sale and does not want to jump thru hoops. He is said I can have car checked by any mechanic close. He purchased 1 year ago from original owners but he said he hasn't done anything with car as far as maintenance goes as he only put 200 miles on it. He is asking $7k for his truck with a $2k original color paint job. He sent me pics and car shows well from pics, interior needs redoing. Also claims car has no issues.

I like the vehicle and will be calling a shop that serviced the vehicle and see what they say. Since seller is not that helpful or does not want go thru details about car and claims car is a great deal at the price, shall I find a seller willing to provide more details or just get car checked out by INDY ?

Is $7k too much to pay?

TIA

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a totally rust free CA 95 SWB car... gone through mechanically and includes rebuilt 3.9 with upgraded crower cam. has recently had a re-paint also. Epsom green.

Will post with pics when the rain stops! asking $10k

• Rebuilt 3.9
  • New main and rod bearings
  • All new seals and gaskets
  • Crower 50229 cam
  • New lifters and push rods
  • Edelbrock double roller chain
  • Cam machined for end plate
  • Cylinder head cleaned and inspected
  • New spark plug wires, cap and rotor
  • New radiator and all oil lines and hoses
  • New stock cat back exhaust
  • New head liner
  • Meridan rebuilt steering box
  • Transmission flushed and new filter installed
  • Replaced viscous coupler transfer box with LT230 locking center differential box from 1987 Range Rover.
  • Went through the box and replaced/input gear and bearings
  • Rebuilt front right caliper
  • Font Disco2 double cardan driveshaft
  • Rear has new rubber coupler
  • 3” lift; Bearmach springs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it's a CA car since new. He claims no Rust.

Will keep you guys posted on it. Seller is just a bit hard to deal with...lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm selling my 1993 white LWB. I've fixed everything that could possibly be fixed. Everything works and looks amazing. More new parts than I can list, all within the last 2000 miles. I've put a ton of money into it, but now it's time to move on. Let me know if you're interested in all the details and pictures. [email protected].

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
What happened Jasonep? Did you go too hard to fast and get burnt out on it? Was it a total lemon?

Maybe you should post it to the classifieds? I'd like to take a look.

I came upon this last week: http://www.roverclassic.com/detail.php?item=771
Kind of high price for the miles but boy does it look clean! Would be nice to have a town Rover and a country Rover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is definitely a town rover. I restored everything I could back to factory condition (i.e. EAS, etc.) but then I did some more modern mods, too. I have replaced the headlights, and all bulbs with high end LEDs. I've incorporated a rearview camera mirror. The only thing that isn't working is the seat warmers. It's definitely not a lemon. I'm just ready to move on to a new challenge, but I had a lot of fun working on it while my kids were gone for the summer. I plan on giving it a nice wash and taking pictures and posting it everywhere soon, I just wanted to give you all a head start. Hit me up by email if you want all the details.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings!

So I have had the itch to find myself a RRC but wanted to get your advice on what to look for. My intentions will be to keep the car as original as possible and just restore it. No intentions to turn car into an off road vehicle. I already own a G wagen that I love.

On my search I found a few RRC down in SoCal. I reached out to one in particular. It is a 1989 with 96k miles. I spoke with seller but he really wants a quick sale and does not want to jump thru hoops. He is said I can have car checked by any mechanic close. He purchased 1 year ago from original owners but he said he hasn't done anything with car as far as maintenance goes as he only put 200 miles on it. He is asking $7k for his truck with a $2k original color paint job. He sent me pics and car shows well from pics, interior needs redoing. Also claims car has no issues.

I like the vehicle and will be calling a shop that serviced the vehicle and see what they say. Since seller is not that helpful or does not want go thru details about car and claims car is a great deal at the price, shall I find a seller willing to provide more details or just get car checked out by INDY ?

Is $7k too much to pay?

TIA
Greetings francars - if you've been looking for a good used RRC I'll be you've been looking at all the RRC's that have been listed on Ebay the last few months, you no doubt have seen the most overpriced RRC's on the planet - as well as some nice deals (in my opinion). $7K is a pretty hefty price tag and I personally would expect MOST everything to be in good working original condition or restored condition (OEM parts instead of non OEM). 96K miles is pretty incredible - be certain there's been no swap of the instrument cluster. This would concern me: "I spoke with the seller but he really wants a quick sale........". Why the rush? You definitely need to have it fully checked by someone who knows all the quirks of the RRC's and try to check all of the likely things that are on their way to failure......and also find a few things to bring up to the Seller to maybe get the price down a bit. See if you can determine if the heater core is nearing it's inevitable end. You don't want to have to do that job.

Tough call on whether or not to walk away from this one - but again, the Seller not being absolutely forthcoming and eager to supply details and wanting a "quick sale"??????.....not cool.....red flags to me man.

GOOD LUCK - and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the nice and welcoming comments. I greatly appreciate it

@slohybrid and @ janonep - thanks for the offers

@revoR - thanks for the answer. This is what I expected and I will be extra careful with this SoCal seller. It is hard to tell if he is hiding something or really doesn't want to jump through hoops like he says and car is sold as is.

I will keep looking. Taking my time.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I know there must be some SoCal forum members that could help inspect, but based on what you've posted, perhaps you should try a different rig, like the '95 above? I think he's closer to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
38 Posts
I look at the SoCal craigslist cities all the time. I think I know the one you're talking about where the seller wants a "quick sale", the ad has already been on there for a week almost and I think he has posted it before the current ad. I too looked to SoCal for a cleaner RRC a few years ago and found one but that seller was a complete jerk and wouldn't work with me at all to take better pictures, answer any questions or accept a deposit had I wanted to fly out and complete the transaction. Good luck with your search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts