1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Fi Exhaust - USD5000
Startech - USD5500

Considering both are around the same price and of similar design (mid resonator delete & valved mufflers). Which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neither. I'd take it to my local muffler shop and have them remove the mid resonator. In addition, removing the rear mufflers will add a little more volume and rasp (Only difference between a 5.0 L494 and an SVR exhaust systems are the rear muffler bypass valves). There are a few videos out there of L494's with this work done and they sound nice.

Why? Well, I personally think that anything over $1000 for an exhaust is highway robbery. I'd try the muffler shop. Shouldn't be more than $150 and you can reverse it if you don't like it.

Hi guys

Fi Exhaust - USD5000
Startech - USD5500

Considering both are around the same price and of similar design (mid resonator delete & valved mufflers). Which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
Neither. I'd take it to my local muffler shop and have them remove the mid resonator. In addition, removing the rear mufflers will add a little more volume and rasp (Only difference between a 5.0 L494 and an SVR exhaust systems are the rear muffler bypass valves). There are a few videos out there of L494's with this work done and they sound nice.

Why? Well, I personally think that anything over $1000 for an exhaust is highway robbery. I'd try the muffler shop. Shouldn't be more than $150 and you can reverse it if you don't like it.
Personally, I have the mid resonator delete. While it sounds nice for the price, it still doesn't sound as good as the SVR even with the VAP tune (w/burbles). The SVR has a different midpipe setup and a different muffler (not referring to just the valves), which IMO give it a more exotic sound.

Now, I can't comment on these aftermarket exhausts and how they stack up vs. my setup or the SVR but if you have the cash, it could be worth it. Also consider that there is technically re-sale value on the exhaust. I find this more in the sports car scene which tend to have more active forums/modder community but theoretically you could flip it for ~60-75% of new. Personally I think Startech/FI are overpriced and I would only go with VAP. I can't imagine they sound much different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had my resonator and silencer removed on my SVR and it sounds awesome. I was considering a Quicksilver exhaust . Glad I held off and tried this first . Cost me $250.00 .

·
Registered
381 Posts
yep, I'm also of the opinion that these fancy exhausts are just a rip-off.

Went to my local exhaust shop and had the resonator & centre silence replaced with straight pipes, cost was around $100 and it sounds better than an SVR :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts