RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So I'll be posting a video shortly of cold start only rattle. I've had the timing chains, guides, and tensioners done, I just did the VVT solenoid hoping to cure it. It's only at first start up! I just don't get it. It only lasts a couple seconds, no codes, etc. I'm going to be taking it to a very reputable shop, but I'm really almost to the point of finding another engine and having it installed. I've become extremely wary of working on this thing myself or I'd just do it. But, anyone have any other ideas as to a possible top end noise that only exists first start, and doesn't occur when running? It runs great otherwise.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
240 Posts
2006 was a transition year, so I'm unsure if you're referring to the BMW 4.4 or Jag 4.4, but my 2004 (BMW) with 120K miles does a brief, 1 or 2 second rattle song-and-dance after a few days of being idle. And only then. Hasn't worsened or improved. I've just assumed that's normal -- or at least not uncommon -- for an M62 mill of that mileage, and at least for now have chosen to ignore it. (I fully realize the guides have limited lifespans, and have researched what those typically are.)

So are we basically talking about brief, initial delays in refilling and pressurizing the oil system as it relates to timing chain tensioning.... perhaps hydraulic lifters as well?? And relatively "normal" for a mid or higher mileage M62?? I'd love to hear from some M62 pro's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jag AJV8. There were no 4.4 M62's in the 06's. Not the M62 Vanos rattle that you're talking about. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
While it's not the most common thing for a 4.4 Jag to have a start up rattle, it's not unheard of. The VVT cam phasers have small oil ports that can clog up and cause this sound. I've never tried fixing it so I don't have any tips on repair. Maybe a good motor oil flush from BG.

Reactions: realtorzimm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While it's not the most common thing for a 4.4 Jag to have a start up rattle, it's not unheard of. The VVT cam phasers have small oil ports that can clog up and cause this sound. I've never tried fixing it so I don't have any tips on repair. Maybe a good motor oil flush from BG.
So, ironically enough a flush was my next step, and doing it today. A bit differently though. I'll be using Liqui Moly today. Followed by 15w/40 diesel oil for 500+- miles. Then a regular oil change. An old Euro tech I met swears by it. Supposedly the high detergents in the diesel specific oil will help clean all the extra gunk out of the oil passages. I'll post how I make out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts