RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. we are planning to get our car in jan. I have seen spacklings of posts about problems with the start stop. or perhaps- not problems- but rather irritating behavior from it. can someone elaborate on what they are? and also- does anyone know if the same issues are occurring in the full sized range rover? and does anyone know if there is an aftermarket solution to disabling it? I know a lot of new cars have this feature nowadays but the irritating behavior form this particular feature in the new sport is concerning. I may cancel my order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi rxbg,
Unless you are much more obsessive and intolerant than me, (and that would be a difficult) I wouldn't consider cancelling my order over the "feature". I too dislike it but only because it's something I am not used to. I picked up my RRS a little over a week ago and usually turn it off with the quick touch of the ECO button when I start it up. On the occasion where I forget to turn it off it really hasn't been a big deal or created any abnormal driving function. The engine starts rather immediately when the break is lifted and does not leave the impression of having to wait for the engine to start before moving. Only time it has be bothersome rather than just "different" is when the timing of the engine stop is such that it stops right as you're about to start going again and there is a bit of lag. This has only happened once so far.
I expect it will be something that can be programmed out via 3rd party tools at some point, but until then I just tap the button to turn it off and enjoy my new ride. :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
hello all. we are planning to get our car in jan. I have seen spacklings of posts about problems with the start stop. or perhaps- not problems- but rather irritating behavior from it. can someone elaborate on what they are? and also- does anyone know if the same issues are occurring in the full sized range rover? and does anyone know if there is an aftermarket solution to disabling it? I know a lot of new cars have this feature nowadays but the irritating behavior form this particular feature in the new sport is concerning. I may cancel my order.
Given that you can turn it off each time with a press of a button, canceling your order because of it seems a bit extreme.
I'm sure within a year someone (Probably me ;) ) will have a solution to permanently disable it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi rxbg, I am using it now for 1 month, nothing wrong with the system technically, I just don't like it and hope there is or will become a way to disable it and allow the owner to make the decission whether he likes it automatically active (standard set up) or request for it with the same button (my preference). But I am afraid it goes the same way as the safety belts alarm, many years ago you could ask the dealer to disable the alarm, no more option these days. It seems that we are moving away from full ownership to a situation where the governements dictate the users conditions, bear in mind that al the new RR's have a black box installed that can provide data that can be used against the driver. Likely more of these (restrictive) regulations to come.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Given that you can turn it off each time with a press of a button, canceling your order because of it seems a bit extreme.
I'm sure within a year someone (Probably me ;) ) will have a solution to permanently disable it.
I've been just turning it off each time I disengaged the e-brake, as the ECO button is right next to it.

Speaking of a way to disable it, are you talking about programming it? I am used to changing these settings on my audi using a data cable (known as VAG-COM), and I am thinking there must be a similar to way to program a bunch of settings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found that you can avoid the shut off at a stop if the brake is not forcefully held down once stopped. Keeping a light foot on the brake will not activate the shut off. This works well in more stop and go traffic or when your stop is brief. Otherwise, If you're stuck at long traffic light why not shut down and save 2 cents. I am, however, concerned about long term starter wear. I'm sure you could buy a lot of gas for the cost of a new starter! The feature shouldn't be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
367 Posts
has anyone tried some sticky tape with something under it to keep the button depressed? Just to find out if the system allows you to press the button at all times... If so, you could simply short the wires coming button permanently..?

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the very reasoned responses. I know there is an easy but expensive ($300)-by some shops- way to disable the nav system lockout when the car is moving on the current gen sport. so I am sure someone will have the way to do the same with the eco.on the new car.
has anyone tried some sticky tape with something under it to keep the button depressed? Just to find out if the system allows you to press the button at all times... If so, you could simply short the wires coming button permanently..?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hated this feature whenever I was given a loaner BMW when my old one inevitably needed repairs or maintenance. Hated it so much in fact that I told the service guy that I would never buy a new BMW with that feature. He SWORE their techs could make sure it didn't function anymore.

When I ordered my RRS, I wasn't aware that this feature was being installed in the newer version (the '13 RRS and before doesn't have it). I wasn't very happy when I realized it would be included on the car. I asked my sales person at LR if it could be permanently disabled, and she claimed it could not. I find it very hard to believe that the BMW guys could figure out a way to do it, but the LR team can't. Maybe it is because it is 'brand new' to LR, and the BMW guys have had a few years of the complaints / figured out the solution?

I don't know. If anyone takes their new RRS (or whatever other new LR models come with the ECO feature) in to their LR dealer and gets it disabled (hopefully for free), please let us all know it's possible. Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I think the BMW guy was just telling you what you wanted to hear... I doubt an authorized dealer would be willing to permanently turn off the stop/start feature if Land Rover designed it that way (surely to meet certain emissions / fuel usage requirements), even if technically it may very well be possible. They could end up in trouble with Land Rover Corporate. An indy shop equipped with compatible diagnostics, maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
An indy shop equipped with compatible diagnostics, maybe.
Not going to be that easy.

Almost all configuration parameters are able to be edited on the old diagnostic system (IDS) however with the newer system(SDD, which is all that will communicate with anything 2012 and up) in order to change just about anything other then day time running lights, or the same settings that can be changed on the dash, a coded session needs to be used, where LR grants access on a case by case basis, one of the down sides to everything being interconnected.

That said, there are vehicles(not US spec) that are not equipped with start stop, and with it being built into the terrain response system, which is purely an output, configuration will be the way to go. Just not with the dealer equipment.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Not going to be that easy.

Almost all configuration parameters are able to be edited on the old diagnostic system (IDS) however with the newer system(SDD, which is all that will communicate with anything 2012 and up) in order to change just about anything other then day time running lights, or the same settings that can be changed on the dash, a coded session needs to be used, where LR grants access on a case by case basis, one of the down sides to everything being interconnected.

That said, there are vehicles(not US spec) that are not equipped with start stop, and with it being built into the terrain response system, which is purely an output, configuration will be the way to go. Just not with the dealer equipment.
Your dealer can disable them if you asked?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
"can" and "will" are two different things. THere are lots of things dealers "can" do. Sadly many dealers will not take the time or make the effort for something so small without charging a rediculous amount.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
coming from heavy experience with audi and vag-coms and knowing computer basics I can tell you that it can be deactivated. just about anything controlled by ecu can be accessed. the problem is finding a company or tuner that knows how to do it. Lamborghini and Audi R8 engine ECU's can be reprogrammed to release more power by aftermarket tuners and anything in the car can be reprogrammed- from power locking to front headlight LED brightness and even safety belt warning chimes. dealers can even deactivate the rear side airbags (but they won't). aftermarket tuners can reprogram the old gen LR nav to be operational on the go. in conclusion- dealers can most definitely deactivate the ECO but are not allowed to. as time goes by someone somewhere will find a local shop that can do it. I think that with the popularity of this new car more tuners will become interested in it and begin to offer all kinds of performance and liveability enhancements. the ECO tune is not a safety related issue at all and so it will be something that tuners will have very little reason not to offer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"can" and "will" are two different things. THere are lots of things dealers "can" do. Sadly many dealers will not take the time or make the effort for something so small without charging a rediculous amount.
And with where we are headed (this will be a mandate on all new cars, ala the beeping when a seat belt is not activated), I doubt LR will be willing to do this. When I had a talk with my BMW dealership in 2012, they were. But LR in 2013? Nope.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And with where we are headed (this will be a mandate on all new cars, ala the beeping when a seat belt is not activated), I doubt LR will be willing to do this. When I had a talk with my BMW dealership in 2012, they were. But LR in 2013? Nope.
I don't see this feature as a mandate. I mean how much fuel and emissions does this really save. I can't stand this feature. There are better ways to save gas and emissions our government should be focused on.

·
Registered
341 Posts
coming from heavy experience with audi and vag-coms and knowing computer basics I can tell you that it can be deactivated. just about anything controlled by ecu can be accessed. the problem is finding a company or tuner that knows how to do it. Lamborghini and Audi R8 engine ECU's can be reprogrammed to release more power by aftermarket tuners and anything in the car can be reprogrammed- from power locking to front headlight LED brightness and even safety belt warning chimes. dealers can even deactivate the rear side airbags (but they won't). aftermarket tuners can reprogram the old gen LR nav to be operational on the go. in conclusion- dealers can most definitely deactivate the ECO but are not allowed to. as time goes by someone somewhere will find a local shop that can do it. I think that with the popularity of this new car more tuners will become interested in it and begin to offer all kinds of performance and liveability enhancements. the ECO tune is not a safety related issue at all and so it will be something that tuners will have very little reason not to offer.

Totally agree as a big past audi guy that tuned his cars and used the VAG. Its not always straighftforward as to where to find it, but it might be there. I would also be willing to bet there may be a fuse dedicated to this feature. I just have to get my hands on mine when it gets to the US:)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I don't see this feature as a mandate. I mean how much fuel and emissions does this really save. I can't stand this feature. There are better ways to save gas and emissions our government should be focused on.
Not sure if it is easy to find but UPS made it a company policy to turn off engines are red lights and deliveries. They are seeing a real savings.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts