RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to return to a P38, this time a DSE rather than a 4.6 HSE like my old one.

Trouble being that I rather liked the HK audio system in my HSE and not all DSEs have it. My questions are:

How good is the standard audio? I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near the HK but how bad is it?

Can I retrofit the steering wheel controls?

Does having wheel controls mean it's got HK? I've been ruling out cars without so far as I assumed they came as a pair, am I right? There aren't always pictures in the ads of the boot (trunk) to check for the sub.

The obvious answer of course is to get a DHSE but they're still a bit expensive for my budget.

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
You want to but a Range Rover based on sound........

Most people buy a Range Rover because it is just that.......sound is secondary..

Anyway the sound system fitted to earlier p38s is'nt impressive but wasnt junk either, on my 96 it has the clarion fitted along with subwoofer (left rear) and does the job pretty well for a factory fit

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not buying it because of the sound. I had no idea about it when i bought my HSE and was pleasantly surprised by its quality. Now my HSE has exploded and my finances recovered I'd like to buy a DSE with the same system. Stands to reason really.

If you have subs in the boot then you have an HSE with the HK (Harman Kardon) system fitted. Standard DSE system has no sub and no CD changer.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I see the 4.0 SE did come with a sub either, easily installed if you track one down at scrappers, not to sure if wiring is in there but reckon it is.

If your sound system isnt all intact ie radio no good, speakers not up to it then I would without question opt for a new full install say along the elines of Kenwood etc, results would be much better than the stock than whats in them now.
Be it HK or standard they wernt anything fantastic

·
Registered
8 Posts
I worked in a high end car audio shop for years and have never been overly impressed with any stock radio set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts