RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I wonder if anybody has some thoughts on a problem I'm having, at low speed e.g. maneuvering and parking I get a sudden drop in revs to 250 followed by an increase in revs to around 1500 then it settles down and is fine again for a few days. Sometimes it stalls and wont run until you have accelerated on start up.

I have searched the site for similar problems but most seem to have trouble when driving at speed which I do not.

Had some codes come up a couple of weeks ago P0221 TPS Pedal Position Switch and P0120 TPS Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction but these have not reappeared since the battery was replaced.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tim

Range Rover L322, 2002, 4.4 Petrol with LPG conversion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only one I have come across is £ 399.00 + 20% vat and then the easy afternoons labour

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can get the pump for about 100GBP, but you need to remove the pump assembly from the tank (of course) and strip it down to get to the actual pump. This will save you from forking out stupid stealer money for a complete assembly.

There was a good write up about this a couple of weeks back, but it appears the poster left/got ejected from the forum. However it is pretty straight forward once you have the pump assembly disconnected and out in the garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, Thanks ill have a bit more time today to have a look around for one.

Tim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Just realised it stalls on LPG as well as when running on petrol.

When starting its on petrol but when parking its switched over to LPG.

Any thoughts.

Tim

·
Registered
228 Posts
You mention you had some error codes related to throttle position. As this is happening on Petrol and LPG, I would suggest that this is the first thing you look at.

The throttle is, to coin the awful marketing term, "drive by wire", meaning that there is no physical connection between your right foot and the throttle body. The position sensor in the pedal gives data to the engine ECU which decides what position the throttle needs to be taking into account a multitude of measurements to come up with the correct value. The errors that you have relate directly to the pedal, and call it coincidence or not, your car has trouble idling.

Mine is also LPG, and if you switch over to LPG when the car has just warmed up, at idle it runs quite rough (only when it has been running for some time does the idle roughness disappear). Never drops below 500rpm though.

The increase in revs after the drop is normal, as the engine management can see a stall coming and will increase the throttle to compensate. This can only be one of two things causing this... air or fuel. As it is happening on both fuels, you can look at the throttle position control (pedal), air intake (filter clean?) MAF sensor failing (should throw up some other errors also) fuel pressure (as it happens on both fuels then look at injectors, but unlikely). Other possibilities are output speed sensor problem giving intermittent bad RPM data to the ECU.

Sorry that this is so broad. Any other symptoms you have not mentioned?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys, I have the same problem as you Tim, only mine still idles and runs perfectly.
Also has the engine fail safe program coming up intermittently shutting down air susp, DSC and HDC.
The only thing I have changed is the coil packs and the spark plugs. The gas conversion was done three weeks ago which was the start of my problems. Since they were playing around with the ECU I'm going to start with checking the connections they made and the plug as well.

Steve.

2002 L322 4.4 petrol/gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts