RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
Best to give Simon a call now, he gets booked up pretty well in advance so at least you'll have a date ready for when you've got the dosh.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
341 Posts
Following this thread. I find it very interesting. Can you legally do a LPG conversion on a 2002 NAS Petrol Model? I assume so but LPG here is kinda pricey no?
interesting concept for the USA

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
No idea about the legality in the US but virtually any petrol engine can be converted to run on LPG. Most people that import day vans, SUVs and motorhomes from the US will convert them as it makes running them less of a wallet buster. In Europe (and Australia) the fuel is much cheaper (on average, around half or less the cost of petrol) so it takes the running costs of a big, heavy, luxury car down to the same as that of a little hatchback. Much of the kit to convert comes from Italy where they like to convert small 1 litre cars to give the running costs of the equivalent of 100 mpg. The biggest advantage is that you still retain the original petrol fuelling system so can run on either at the flick of a switch. I regard the quarter tank of petrol in my car the same as the spare wheel in the boot (because the spare wheel well has the 80 litre toroidal LPG tank in it), something to be used only in case of emergency rather than something to be used because it's there. Another advantage is that it is a far simpler hydrocarbon than petrol (and doesn't have all the additives) so burns cleaner. The oil stays cleaner so the engine will wear less and the emissions are cleaner which is a big advantage in some countries, my car is exempt from Low Emissions Zone charges in France, Germany, Holland and Belgium. However, I would think the problem of converting in the US would be a lack of filling stations and as your petrol is that much cheaper than here would there be any advantage?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Richard,
thanks much for the great education on LPG. It is nice to have an alternative for sure. LPG has availability for RV parks for filling up but availability is limited compared to Petrol.
To fill up with Petrol the cost is about $75.00 for the tankful. Not sure what LPG costs but I’ll look into it. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
Complicated to compare as petrol is sold here by the litre at a cost of around £1.25 a litre. So a US gallon (3.785 litres compared with 4.54 litres for a UK Imperial gallon) here would cost £4.73 or almost exactly $6.00. So a tankful here is almost twice what you pay. LPG price varies from one place to another but is half the cost of petrol give or take a few pennies but brings the running cost down to the same as you pay.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks much. If you had a full tank of Petrol and a full LPG tank how many miles could you go
if you used up both fuel sources? 600? Highway guessing not stop and go in theory.

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
On a long run I can do around 220 miles on a full tank of LPG so add that to whatever it would do on a full tank of petrol. As I've never had a full tank of petrol, I've no idea how far that would take me but around 600 miles total would sound about right.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts