RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just looking for some help on pointing me in the right direction on another issue with my rover. It was running fine yesterday and when I went to start it this morning it fired up and then stalled immediately. It will start fine no problem then stalls right after, but while it is running for the brief few seconds before it stalls again, it is emitting a fair amount of white smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't smell like coolant, however. But I should also add that throughout the winter it would start with a very low idle and sometimes stall in colder temperatures on initial startup in the mornings. I'm assuming this is related to the current issue of it stalling after every start up now.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,945 Posts
I will guess you have a BMW engine in your RR,
if so you need a warm garage and about 9 days and 1500.00 in parts ,
replace the PVC plate,
the intake base and end gaskets,
the hoses for the PVC vent and and drain,
Replace the valley gasket plate ,NOTE dont try to use the old plate and use fresh silicone,
you will thank me later for this advice,
OR you will remove the intake twice,
BUT do make sure the Valley plate sealing surface is cleaned of all corrosion.

also get the cam covers powder coated,
and replace the gaskets in them,
and add new spark plugs.
replace the vanos solenoid seals on the front of the timing chain covers,
replace the rear water bridge gaskets at the back of each head.
replace the 2 tube O rings from water pump to rear water bridge.

NOTE for cold weather operations .......Dont start the truck and let it warm up for more than 30 seconds when its cold out ( below freezing).

NOTE This is how the PVC plate gets damaged, with hi vacuum and low idle, moisture is formed and then quickly freezes,
this damages the PVC plate and clogs the vent lines with ice.This then causes oil to be sucked into the intake.

Start let the idle come down a bit then drive off.

NOTE after you do the intake refresh, replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
nodak, so that folks don;t have to guess please add your Rover's year and model to your signature. If we have no clue what year rig you have we are pretty much unable to give educated advice that actually pertains to your circumstances. For instance we have no idea which "jag engine" you have or if it is first or second generation of which engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the 2006 4.4 jag engine. My apologies I haven't added any info in my sig yet.

·
Registered
631 Posts
White smoke? Or just the normal amount of exhaust you would get visible on a cold start in the winter?

Idle issues with the Jag engine are almost always the throttle body. It needs to be removed and cleaned.

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thereally is alot more white exhaust smoke than normal cold starts. I am not able to rev the engine to keep it running either.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
My 2008 4.4 was also giving me hard starts and white smoke...one day it just blew and I filled the whole neighborhood with white smoke...I thought the worst...dealer said PVC failed...I think it was $400 total for repair...rare on Jag motors but not unheard of...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts