RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm very new with the M62 engine.

I'm having a problem that isn't consistent, being the engine will stall on cold start ups, will eventually run a little rough, then be perfect. Randomly will stall in park or neutral but never in drive or reverse. It has an issue at idle it seems. Will hold around 600rpm then just dip down. Sometimes it'll bounce back, others will need to be restarted and it'll then run fine again. Feels like it'll shutter randomly like a misfire every now and them.

Codes
-P1173 - Not sure on definition, possible cracked exhaust pipe around cats, unsure
-P1171 - Lean bank 1
-P1174 - Lean bank 2

So far I have replaced :

-Both up stream 02 sensors
-MAF
-Air filter
-PCV system and hoses
-Spark Plugs
-Fuel filter
-Intake gaskets
-Bunch of coolant related issues

Any thoughts? I've read about the IACV but besides the main throttle, I don't see anything else

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Extra observation, if you are idling with the AC on, and turn it off, the RPMS will dip to about 250ish then come back up.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
277 Posts
I had this problem with MY06 Jag engine at low speed crawl during traffic etc. Idle would bounce and then the engine would stall.

After exhausting a lot of the same options:

Turned out to be a really gooey throttle body. I would clean it and over time it would gum up causing the valve to not close or open from closed properly. Had both the bank lean/mix code errors pop, everything.

To clean I use a rag and a medium duty cleaner lile MAF cleaner but maybe even brake cleaner might work if its super dirty. My understanding is there can be damage if you use something too strong.

Point being if you've done everything else try cleaning the throttle body and be sure to use a factory paper air filter to help keep the maf clean and extra goo out of the throttle body.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Did you check the air intake boot from the air filter to the throttle house for a leak?

Reactions: datafoo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did clean the throttle body, it had some build up but nothing concerning. Also sprayed brake clean everywhere with it running to check for vacuum and air leaks. No issues there. Also running MANN, Mahle, or BMW filters.

I did have an issue where the oil separator line was disconnected for a bit causing the issue to be worse. Plugged it back in and I'm where I'm at now. I just now disconnected the battery and touched the ends together to try to reset the adaptive values. Seems to be running just fine now. Will see how it starts in the morning.

It's easier when you can just point at the broken part. This stuff drives me up the wall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No dice, still stalling when j throw it into park. Does this sound like a throttle body issue? Or is there something I'm missing. I can get one but $300 and the same issue will bum me out haha

·
Registered
399 Posts
To me it sounds like vacuum problem. Although it doesn't hurt to rule out the throttle body. I got a spare throttle body if you want it for testing purpose. You pay shipping back and forth if interested DM me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree.. So some updates. Finally able to mess with it again.

Cold starts in the morning are the worst for it. Will crank, rev up, immediately die. Second time will crank, rev up, and it's either missing or not firing entirely. Very rough. Then I kill it. Start it again and it idles perfectly. If I put my foot on the throttle it will idle higher but still be all over the place.

Codes that comes back consistently
P1173

The lean or rich codes will come back randomly all over the place. Might just need to bring it somewhere with a smoke machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After that and once it's ran a few times it starts, idles, and drives perfectly. Then it starts all over the next day. Looking at replacing the battery now. Had a similar issue years ago with another range rover.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you put the transmission in neutral and then start the car, does the engine still stall?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya park and neutral have the same effect. The engine is sensitive to load. Like if you're idling in park and turn off the AC, it dies. If you put your foot slightly on the throttle, it seems to hold way better. Spent the last few hours taking the valve covers off, checking plugs, checking wiring, checking for vacuum leaks and nothing.

No interesting codes to boot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Doesn't hurt to swap the throttle body while also chasing vacuum leak. From what you just said, if you put your foot slightly on the throttle it does fine. That tells me that the flap in the throttle body is not opening up well enough when idling in neutral/park. That is my theory.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
Assuming you haven't found a vacuum leak anywhere check your fuel pressure, and if you have never done it, change your fuel filter under the gas tank. You may have a low fuel pressure or flow issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did change out the fuel filter a few weeks ago. After buying it and sending her down a lot of wash board roads, I sent a lot of crap into the filter and plugged it. Possible the pump died too. I've read about just replacing the pump itself rather than the entire unit. If anyone has any part numbers or can chime in on that it would be swell. I'm waiting on a replacement throttle body via Rovah. Try and remove some more variables.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It is a shame when you lend folks your spare parts and also ship it to them priority courier out of pocket so they can get their issue solved quickly...then they take advantage and go mia...a good samaritan has been stiffed.

Reactions: EEHam and Ryane7

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
134 Posts
It is a shame when you lend folks your spare parts and also ship it to them priority courier out of pocket so they can get their issue solved quickly...then they take advantage and go mia...a good samaritan has been stiffed.
He was on two days ago. Did you try calling him? That was an awfully nice thing to do for someone you don't know. I hope you at least have all his contact information.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I reached out to him a couple times via phone in early September and late October. It's alright, I've done my good deeds :)

Reactions: EEHam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got back on. Range Rover has been sitting. Work as a firefighter. Sorry for the long delay. Lost my phone while in Alaska.

And no the engine issue hasn't been solved. Still dealing with the engine immediately stalling after starting. It's been frustrating. I'll reach out to you Rovah to make you whole shortly.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Have you smoked the engine to confirm no vacuum leak? Propane, and carb cleaner doesn't always find it. But the smoke doesn't lie.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts