RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Forum surfers - someone out there surely has been here before. I have removed my entire dash for access to the blender motors and O rings. In that process I had to remove the passenger side SRS module (left hand drive). Now that I have replaced the O-rings, I want to start up the car and make sure there are no leaks. Then I ran across some info regarding the SRS that has me a little worried. I did NOT disconnect the battery before removal - although I assume that is just a safety precaution so the thing doesn't blow up in your face removing it - and I did keep it upright etc. So now - I understand that if I start the car - it will sense the airbag is gone and create a malfunction code. So do I reconnect the module and then start the car? I understand ALSO that I need to reconnect the heater control unit as well - which is good since that way I can check that all of the motors and flaps are working correctly while I am at it.

Anyone who has been here before please chime in - am I OK to reconnect and star the car? Thanks!

Also - anyone had any success re-gluing a peeling dash? Mine has the usual separation at the defrost vent - pushing it up. I tested some contact glue on a different section and it didn't hold. I am thinking about just screwing it down - but that is a less than elegant solution...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,426 Posts
I'm not sure why you didn't disconnect the battery. There's no way I'd do a dash replacement without disconnecting the battery. In fact, I'll disconnect the battery for any electrical job. I've been doing it fo 7 years and never had a problem. I don't understand the phobia over battery disconnection.

I've replaced my dash so I've been there, too.

I'm a bit confused by your question. I assume you want to test everything before buttoning it all up. Just sit the airbag back on the dash and plug it it. I'd disconnect the battery first!

Then start it up, test it all, etc. Make sure the yellow cable is plugged into the instrument binnacle befire swtiching the ignition on to avoid an SRS fault being logged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - I think you just answered my other question - which was whether I should first go ahead and disconnect the battery before re-plugging it all in. So I guess that's the way to go - disconnect it - re-plug it all back and then reconnect to test. Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,426 Posts
The only hassle with battery disconnects is resetting the windows, sunroof, radio stations, and maybe resynching the keyfobs (with which I've never had any problem).

However, if you like, read this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19563

1 - 4 of 4 Posts