RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery went bad resulting in vehicle just clicking when trying to start. New battery installed and now blinking then solid SRS light. Light was out previously. Any way to clear it?

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, but you'll need access to LR's Testbook software or equivalent. Only one I've found so far is from Blackbox Solutions, but at $500 and VIN-specific I haven't bought it, yet.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
... or any indie that specializes in older Land Rovers. A weak battery should not cause any issues with the SRS system. Normally the SRS does self check at start up and lights the SRS light, if it finds no error the the light goes out after about 8 seconds. If it finds an error the light blinks. If the issue is not rectified the light will remain lit until the logged error is checked with diagnostics and repaired.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
the pre obd 2 srs system in my experience is a bit temperamental, some do not register the low current fault others do. unfortunately dealer no longer supports these vehicles, thus it would be wise to call them ahead of the visit to verify they can reset.
currently old autologic (blue and black boxes), old test book, are the only systems able to communicate 94 and 95 srs (94 disco1 and 95 classic).
the new autologic (orange box) contains the software but no cable adaptor is offered, the new blackbox solutions as stated above is the only "new equipment" option..

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 95’ did this several years ago. I disconnected the battery, touched both cables together, and waited 30 mins before reconnecting - positive first, and then the earth cable. The SRS light has functioned normally ever since.

I think the wind was from the East, and it exactly noon GMT when I reconnected the battery. : )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... or any indie that specializes in older Land Rovers. A weak battery should not cause any issues with the SRS system. Normally the SRS does self check at start up and lights the SRS light, if it finds no error the the light goes out after about 8 seconds. If it finds an error the light blinks. If the issue is not rectified the light will remain lit until the logged error is checked with diagnostics and repaired.
Should not being the key words. Drove it home no light, parked in the garage. Went to start it an hour later and just clicking of the starter and really dim lights. Turns out the battery had shorted out. New battery in and it started right up, with a blinking SRS light. So I'm pretty sure I didn't develop a fault sitting in the garage for an hour.

I'll try the battery cable trick and also give the stealership a call.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the battery cables. Had them disconnected for about 8hrs. No luck. Called the Rover dealer and they didn't have a scan tool. So I'm not sure what my options are. That was the largest city in the province and they didn't have a tool...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
it is what I suggested on my post, dealer does not have supporting hardware for these vehicles. in fact anything older than 10 yrs. is not really welcomed at many dealers. there are exceptions of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts