Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know this has been discussed in depth but I can't find examples like mine and also wanted to see if anyone had tried this vendor: http://speedofix.com?

So after replacing my ride height sensor and air spring on the front right corner of my Rover, the red SRS light has come on and stayed on. This happened after I put the airbag on, which was the last thing I did. I had the batter disconnected for the ride height sensor, the reset the steering angle sensor when done, no SRS light at that point. It wasn't until I installed the new air spring that the light came on.

Faults per All Comms are (sorry don't have exact wording in front of me): "Voltage to unit less than 9.6V" and "Internal System Error". All Comms won't clear the faults.

Could a wiring or ECU failure just have coincidentally gone bad at the same time the truck was in my garage or can anyone think of something that may have occurred while replacing the air spring? I did verify that the SRS device attached to the positive terminal of the battery is connected.

All Ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Had a similar issue with my 2004 I had disconected the positive to the engine to remove the cabin filter box for access to the rear of engine finished what I was doing and forgot to reconnect the lead and tried to start engine.

No start offcourse remembered the lead and reconnected engine started but airbag light which would clear with IIDTool but immediatley return it appears the ecu thinks the explosive battery disconnect may have activated hence the warning.

The below procedure fixed my issue once cleared the warning stayed clear worth a shot hope it helps.

Airbag warning on dashboard.
Ensure systems have shutdown ie: red light on transmission tunnel between hill decent.
and Hi/Lo buttons is no longer illuminated.
Disconnect negative battery cable.
Reconnect after 5 minutes.
Start car and cycle steering hard left hard right to remove ABS errors.
Use your tool of choice ie: IIDTool, Blackbox Solutions or RSW Solutions to clear the airbag warning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I have an appt with an indi shop in my area specializing in land rover to diagnose, apparently they have a more powerful tool than All Comms, which can read the faults and track down where they're coming from. This is annoying!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bummer hopefully a cheap fix it is amazing how annoying having that light on an otherwise clear dash is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had something similar happen, but when replacing the battery. Turns out I had jostled a plug inside the battery area. If memory serves, as you are standing in front of the battery compartment the plug to the passenger airbag is just to the right of the battery inside the battery compartment. I just unplugged it, cleaned and plugged it back in. Worked for me, but as we all know, these simple fixes are often nothing more than a pipe dream.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what I've learned: indi shop checked all wires and plugs, then tested power going to and out of SRS ECU and power was almost completely lost coming out of the module. So I need a new one. They said only Land Rover can program one but that seems strange, kind of. I'm going to try a used one in working order, any thoughts or ideas?

I'll follow up with progress on this, if for no other reason but to build on our already vast database of searchable issues and solutions. Thanks for the input so far!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to complete this thread, I did find a used SRS ECU on ebay and replace it. The warning light did not go off on the dash because I had to then use the All Comms tool from RSW Solutions to clear all of the faults (it looked like all SRS faults due to the new module being installed). This fixed it.

Because I had such a hard time finding pictures of the location of the module/ECU, here is one, you have to remove the entire center consul, rear passenger air HVAC blower, and hand brake to get to it. Mine had the plastic cover over it as you can see in the picture. This took me 2.5 hours to remove and 2.5 hours to put back together. This was a meticulous job!
Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
130 Posts
I am having a similar issue on my 2005 range rover. I had to replace the steering angle sensor. I disconnected the negative lead and did all the work. Put it all back together and everything is fine except now the SRS light is on. I disconnected the battery again, nothing. I pulled the airbag off again to make sure the wires were seated fine.There is nothing showing in ALLComms either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts