RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people I have a 1994 P38a with the airbag SRS light and notice on the dash screen.I have looked every place I can find even used the google and cant find the answer to.
Faultmate FCR 04016 harness check resistor is measuring open circuit. (TRW MPS TYPE1)
Or it could be 05016 the airbag firing circuit is measuring short to power.(TRW SPS TYPE1)
I cant find a wiring diagram it dosent have the seat wiring and wires look good and not cut as far as I can see.
Your help would be very helpful as I am so stuck with this one.
Thanks for your help
Marcus

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Being a "94" I doubt you would have the Multi Point System. You should have a Single Point System with consists of an crash sensor under the center console and resisters in line for each component for the self check at each start up. Sadly the SRS system was not meant to be worked on. This means there are no schematics or specs on these resistors or their locations... at least that anyone has had access to here.

Congrads on having one of the very first P38s produced. With an initial release in late September of 94 they are usually just called 95s. Since being sold side by side with the original body style 95s the tailgate badge of "Classic" came to be.

What is your production date?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
at this age of the vehicle, it would be highly advisable to inspect all related wiring connectors, also I have found the spiral to be defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I know at the moment is it is a 94 and the chassis number is an M your information is very helpful I now have a place to look and something to look for.
All the best.
Marcus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had another look at the car and under the headlight is a crash sensor I disconnected the left one to test the wireing and I gave the fault code left side crash sensor the right one is under the battery so I didn't try that one that will be next before I start on the center console

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Wow, you have a MPS then. In that case the ECU is the only thing under the center console. RAVE section 75, has the diagram for the MPS that should help you out if you ignore the side airbags and seat belt tensioners since those didn't come into play until 1999.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Rest of world cars had the MPS system up until around mid 1996 production (so 97 model year) when they got the SPS (Single Point). NAS cars retained the MPS system until 1999 so an early car would have the multi point system with two crash sensors. Although the P38 was released in 94 (in UK at least), it took a while to swim the Atlantic so there are quite a few 94 cars still running around over here.

The resistors are at various points in the SRS loom (always in yellow sheathing), it sounds as though one has failed (or dodgy soldering) although checking the rotary coupler for continuity would be another good place to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have fitted a new steering wheel thing and eliminated that and if I disconnect it comes.up with that fault but I haven't tryed disconnectin the passenger one but that is on the list but I can't see that being the problem because it's only looking for a 1.3 ohm so I guess tell me the left airbag is faulty.
Marcus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts