RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

The tail gate of my P38 (Gems) squeeks regularly, not always, but too often, it's very annoying.

I did try to find the cause, lubricated all pivot points/hinges/locks, including the gas struts. Adjusted the catchers of the locks, thight and less tight.
Sometimes it helps, just for a couple of kilometers, sometimes not..

I'm 99% sure it comes from the lock between the upper and lower tail gate. When I press the button (once) to unlock the tail gate, but leave it closed, the squeek seems to be gone..

Anyone who has an idea to stop this annoying squeek? Spraying penetrant oil in it doesn't help.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
An easy solution (but likely not your particular issue) is to use hands on both sides to push, such that both latches catch. You can tug the gate to verify. If only one is latched, then gate will rattle. On my RR, both the hood (bonnet) and the gate have latch age/lubrication issues and require attention to close properly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a rattle, and it opens and closes properly, it's just an annoying squeek..

I did look if both latches close properly, and they do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you sure it’s the tailgate and not the side panels, I had it on mine after removing the side panels and fitting them back in a hurry, I took them out again and followed raves re install procedure, no more squeaks ��

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had this exact issue. And I fixed it.

Check the U-piece which bolts into the top tailgate door.

It's welded to a plate which attaches to the gate door with two Torx screws.

Is yours loose? Mine came loose; the welds gave way. It was rattling around enough to make the tailgate squeak.

A new U-piece catch from the wreckers solved it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That U piece on the top door feels solid, but I might have a look at the latch, I can move it a little bit..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The panels in the boot seems to be alright too, no noise when I give them a push..

·
Registered
174 Posts
If only most of our issues were this trivial.

But the squeaky tailgate annoyed me too. I mean, it really got under my skin.

Have you adjusted the latch position on both the lower and upper doors? All three striker plates are adjustable.

Set them so they both shut tight and snug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts