RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue, I have had it in my car for at least a year. It's a noticeable groan or squeal (my 5-year old daughter giggles and calls it a fart and honestly that describes it quite accurately...) from the center console, heard for a second or two after you hit the Recirc button on the HVAC. You can also hear if you have the climate control in full Auto mode as recirculation engages automatically when you first start the car on hot days. It has bothered me, but not enough to get it fixed as I am out of warranty and the related TSB originally issued by Land Rover in 2008 called for replacement of Actuator Rod (Part No JEH 500010) and Recirculation Blend Door Actuator (Part No JNC 500040.) This involved extensive disassembly of the console / fascia and a ton of labor charges - too expensive for an intermittent noise, I can live with it. Plus, I am always afraid that whenever a dealer takes apart the dash to eliminate one noise, they often introduce new squeaks and rattles after they put it back together. :wink:

Well, Land Rover just issued a SSM deleting the original TSB, apparently they have found a cheaper and easier way to get rid of this squeal. I might be able to do it myself as soon as they publish the details in an upcoming bulletin. :pray: I will keep the forum posted when they do, should anyone else be suffering from this same noise (which also occurs on Disco/LR3s.)

Id 42706

Models
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title LR3 / Range Rover Sport HVAC Squeak / Squeal in Recirc mode
Last Modified 10-NOV-2009 12:12
Category Electrical
Symptom 208000 Climate Control
Content

Concern
LR3 and Range Rover Sport customers may report that a squeak / squeal noise is heard a few seconds after pressing the recirculation button on the Climate control panel, it can be also heard when the recirculation feature operates automatically as previously described in TSB LTB 00103v2

Action

TSB LTB 00103v2 has now been withdrawn from GTR and is no longer an approved fix for this warranty claim. With this in mind we kindly request that Dealers immediately refrain from carrying out the replacement of the HVAC Actuator Rod and the Recirculation Blend Door Actuator.
A new TSB will be released very shortly which requires the application of a new special grease to the affected area, this will reduce the repair time greatly. There will be no need to remove fascia in the new repair procedure.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
Blend Door Motor....Just had mine changed under warranty, Out of warranty if costs about $64,950 to replace (that includes twenty inch rims)......

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
acole10000 said:
Blend Door Motor....Just had mine changed under warranty, Out of warranty if costs about $64,950 to replace (that includes twenty inch rims)......
Ironically, this is a similar issue that BMW's have, you can even hear the blend door motors cycling down after shutting off the car...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
A new TSB will be released very shortly which requires the application of a new special grease
I'm going with ghee, Indian clarified butter

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We still don't know if it's clarified butter, will have to x-check that part # at my local Indian grocery store, but the TSB is out and looks doable by a DIYer (when I saw the disassembled instrument panel cover I nearly passed out, but then I read it was only removed for picture clarity :wink: ) I may attempt it this weekend, actually. Pages 4 and 5 illustrate the procedure for the RRS. Seriously, what do you guys suggest as grease, lithium? Or something more "runny", maybe?

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
umbertob said:
Ah of course, that's more down my alley. Isn't the car going to smell like a pizzeria whenever recirculation kicks in, though? :D
That is what I was thinking why it was groaning, y'all had burritos for lunch and the car knows it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We still don't know if it's clarified butter, will have to x-check that part # at my local Indian grocery store, but the TSB is out and looks doable by a DIYer (when I saw the disassembled instrument panel cover I nearly passed out, but then I read it was only removed for picture clarity :wink: ) I may attempt it this weekend, actually. Pages 4 and 5 illustrate the procedure for the RRS. Seriously, what do you guys suggest as grease, lithium? Or something more "runny", maybe?
Did you ever take care of this issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts