RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
At about 4,000 miles, my 2017 RRS brake pedal squeaks and creaks at about the half way mark when pressing down. It is a very annoying noise that passengers in the car can hear. Has anyone else had this problem? Any known fixes. The dealer looked at it and could not find anything wrong?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! Kindly advise exactly what and where the pivot might be? Any photos would be welcomed. Have you experienced this yourself.

Thank you again......

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had this issue as well. There's an SSM for it. SSM72088

Issue – Squeak noise when brake pedal is operated.
Cause – Brake light switch / brake pedal shim interaction. NOTE: Not all vehicles will be fitted with brake pedal shim.
Action – Apply PTFE Dry Lubricant (AC-F27 pen which is available in squeaks and rattles kit) to shim (if fitted) and brake switch plunger. Removal of the brake switch plunger is not required for this procedure. Once the lubricant has cured please operate the pedal to confirm the noise is no longer present

Brake%20Pedal%20SSM%20Lubrication%20Guide.jpg.png

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of the responses. The my 2017 RRS was at the dealership last week, they lubed some parts and I still have the squeaky/creaky brake pedal action. Anyone else have some solutions? Would replacement of the pedal assembly help? Love the RRS, but the creaky is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
238 Posts
I couldn't get my dealer to fix the issue and they would replace the entire brake booster assembly but here is the service bulletin:
Reference
SSM72903
Models
Range Rover / L405
Range Rover Sport / L494
Title
Air Leak Noise When Brake Pedal Is Pressed
Category
Chassis
Last modified
29-Jul-2016 00:00:00
Symptom
301000 Service Brake System
Attachments
D7u Booster Fixings Secure Sequence.pdf
Content
Issue:*
Air-leak noise when brake pedal is pressed.

Cause:*
Low or high clamp load on brake servo fixings.

Action:
If an air-leak noise is exhibited during brake pedal depression, then slacken the 4 fixings off and re-torque to 24Nm. Ensure when torquing you follow the pattern detailed in the attachment.
Re-apply the torque (following the attached pattern) a second time 30 minutes later to ensure the fixings have not relaxed.

If the noise is still present then please progress with replacement of the component.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
So this issue has been through a squeaky pivot, squeaky plunger, full brake pedal assembly replacements and now it is an air leak noise from improperly torqued fittings prior to 2016? Considering the last procedure mod date is July 29, 2016, and the models listed here are 2017s then does anyone have an updated TSB AFTER the 2016 bit listed above? Does anyone have an updated DIY fix for what was initially considered a dry pivot?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, any updated TSB's or more current SSM's would be very helpful as I am supposed to bring my RRS in to dealer again for diagnosis. Someone out there must be experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having same issue with my 2017 svr at about 4000 miles. Have to keep radio volume up or drives me nuts. Haven't taken to dealer yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, this noise is driving me nuts. Could it be related to the brake vacuum booster? It sounds like air in a cylinder. Please come forth if others are experiencing this. I might consider buying a new car if this can not be fixed. Has anyone had experience with LRNA with an issue like this?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Bourne, chill...seriously. Obviously others have this issue or there would not be TSBs across two models for this issue. Is it annoying? Of course it is.

Have you had your rig into the dealer for the above mentioned SSR/TSB re torquing of the booster? If not you can hardly blame LRNA for lack of action to the point of selling a rig for a squeak. Like the issue with 494 and 405 brake pad composition / squeak issues it took three changes to find a fix. Ya gotta give them more than one shot if new information develops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have to say I had my 2014 RR Sport in for the same darn noise last month, they lubed the pedal, but I and others can still hear it. I have a 2006 RR, 2010 RR Sport and the brake pedals on those have no noise. I saw the reference to the service bulletin has anyone come across a fix for this? I have till November until my warranty is up and would like to get this sorted before then...

Any suggestions as to a Dealer Service Fix that worked would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Interesting thread. I get the air leak noise once in a while when I first press the brakes as I have gotten into the car. It sounds like a very audible whistle. It's definitely not a squeaky joint or bearing. It is almost certainly air escaping a chamber. It has been called the queef in my car more than once. It hasn't bothered me enough just yet as it happens very seldom but from the looks of this thread it sounds like I might be in for more frequent queefs.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
238 Posts
The service bulletin was update this past January but I can't see anything was actually updated. In my truck, it only happens when it gets cold outside, <55F and only during the first brake press. When it's warm, it doesn't happen. It's definitely not a squeak. I think the truck just thinks farts are funny.
I'll ask the dealer to try to fix it again when my next service comes up and they probably won't.

View attachment TOPIx - SSM72903 - Air Leak Noise When Brake Pedal Is Pressed.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue with my new 2014 Range Rover Supercharged.

The fix to eliminate the brake pedal squeal when depressing the pedal was for the entire master cylinder to be replaced. It fixed the issue permanently.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had the same issue with my new 2014 Range Rover Supercharged.

The fix to eliminate the brake pedal squeal when depressing the pedal was for the entire master cylinder to be replaced. It fixed the issue permanently.
Wow, that's pretty extreme. But good to know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was there a TSB issued relating to replacement of the master cylinder? If so, did they specify year/model/vin, etc..? Have others had their master cylinder replaced? Very interesting development......

1 - 20 of 60 Posts