RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My brakes were squeaking pretty badly so I ordered a full set (all 4 tires) of Hawk LTS brake pads from Tirerack. I installed all four sets of pads and the rears are squeaking even worse than before. Any ideas on what might be causing this? It is soooo annoying, I can't even drive with the windows down... And it is pretty embarrassing!

Any input or ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Squeaky Brake Pads - Just Replaced Stock Ones With Hawk LTS

Did you use anti-seize compound on the back of the pads when you installed them?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts

What condition are the rotors in? I suspect the pads are harder than OE, and this can be made worse by having badly scared rotors.

·
Registered
528 Posts

With all due respect, I think it is time you turned over your mechanical needs to a professional, be they brakes, headliner, or the next issue that crops up. Good luck, and I hope you get your RR to par soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm having the same problem I've been to mechanic an had him put stop squeal an a week later it has started again brakes are only about five months old. I know how you feel it doesn't feel good at all when stopping. I may check rotors next they are only like a year an a half old I bought them from british atlantic.

·
Registered
387 Posts

FWIW, same problem here.

I looked through the forums at one point and it appears this is a fairly common issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts

What material are the brakes, semi metallic, organic, or ceramic? I would suggest a good pair of ceramic brakes pads, less dust and noise. Also I would suggest using High temperature grease on the back of the brake pads instead of stop squeal, its lasts allot longer.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

Or just use the Genuine Part brake pads. With the number of supercessions on brake pad part numbers they've had, they must have it right by now? Or not? :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the input guys.

I just took the rear passenger brake pads off and cleaned EVERYTHING. I'm going to re-apply some anti-seize stuff and slap em back on and see if I fixed it, although I doubt it. If this doesn't work, I'm just going to order a set of new OEM pads and rotors for the rear.

I wasn't even planning on changing the rear pads but they are too started squealing under braking, had I known how much louder the Hawk's were going to be, I never would have changed them!

So to people with this problem, did replacing both rotors and pads with OEM spec fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Okay I took everything apart, cleaned everything, lubed everything, did everything I could think of - to no avail.

I think I'm just going to take the car to the stealership tomorrow morning and have them put a new set of OEM pads and rotors on and flush the brake fluid. Does anyone know how much this should cost?

I'm contemplating buying the rotors and pads directly from LR and doing it myself, I am fully capable of doing it - it seems more like a hardware problem.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts

you will have well over a $1000 bill for that one through a stealership. If you can put pads on, you can do the rest of the job. Hop on British parts Utah and order your parts. I searched long and heard and for OEM parts, they have the best prices and super fast shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

It's not down to your work, I expect. It's more than likely down to poor quality pads. Get your hands on a set of better quality pads and try again. Change the rotors as well if you think they look bad.

If the rears are squeeling, maybe just try a set of rear rotors and pads, maybe even use Genuine Parts if you can afford to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Here's the update guys.

I ordered all new parts from R1 Concepts. I picked up a set of their standard slotted rotors for all 4 corners and a set of Posi-Quiet pads. I hope this solves the problem, I can't tell you how much I hate the Hawk LTS pads - I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!

I wonder if TireRack will give me a refund, doubt it...

Has anyone used the slotted rotors from R1 Concepts? I know Vincent got the Premium variant of their rotors for his 06 Supercharged/Brembo build. They should be here next week and I will post my findings.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

I think Dennis at Rover Renovations has experience with the R1 items? :think:

You generally get what you pay for with brake parts, and that includes rotors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts