RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently (2 and a half months back) bought a 2004 Range Rover V8 from a dealer.

The car has had two major issues which I've not been happy with from new:

The first is that the bootlid squeaks over anything more than a perfectly flat road. I spoke to the dealer about this and they said that it is a common problem with older vehicles with a split tailgate. He explained that this was due to plastic rubbing on plastic. He gave me a roll of self adhesive velcro (the soft portion only) to put onto sections where I could see the plastic rubbing. This made no difference. The vehicle has gone back to them for a total of 5 weeks in the 10 weeks I've owned it, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference here. Is this a common problem? If so, how does one rectify?

The second is that the radio display looks like it is on the blink. On an adhoc basis, when you switch the car on, the image on the screen looks like it is displayed either skew, or it is shaking around at an angle, as shown in the pic. It sometimes comes right after a few moments, but other times I have to try to select screen off and drive like that. I have not seen or heard of this on other Range Rovers.

What is frustrating is that these are the two single biggest things that are dampening my enjoyment of what is otherwise a lovely vehicle. The vehicle has been back to them on 2 separate occassions (once for 3 weeks and another for 2 weeks).

Any comments or suggestions from the other forum members?

Cheers

Terence

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
For the tailgate, make sure the latch is secured properly. open the upper tailgate, and dead center where it goes into the lower, make sure the striker is tight, the bolts like to back out(and even disappear at times) which causes a lot of play back there.

That nav screen is weird, I haven't seen one fail like that. Look around the vehicle, see if you have any aftermarket devices(DVD play, out of place looking switches, rear view camera) installed, where someone might have tapped into the screen, and something might be loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is an apple type charging device in the centre consol with a switch. This might be the cuplrit, but I know that he dealer had an auto electrician look at that too.

The dealer I bought it from is part of a big motor group that also has panel beater, BMW and Land Rover franchises and more, so they should have expertise with this. They have spent time with the vehicle and cannot sort either of these out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do your research and bring it somewhere else - no reason that the shouldn't be able to find and correct the rattle(s). Sending you off with a roll of Velcro tape after paying them is not acceptable IMO.

I bought a 2004 in May that had a rattle in the rear.

It was a combination of things, namely:
1. Lose screws on the lower half's upper trim piece
2. Lose speaker in rear hatch trim panel
3. Lose tools/jack in the spare tire compartment (put it back as pictured in owners manual)

Good luck, and I'd bet that your screen problem is due to a lose or dirty connection in either the head unit or rear Nav unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I threw my toys out with the dealer today.

I drove around last night with the tailgate open and I still get the squeaking, so I've eliminated that. Could then be spare wheel, tools, suspension etc.

The radio does have an aftermarket Apple connector in the centre console, which I suspect could be causing the problem.

Dealer has undertaken to pick up the vehicle on Monday, give me a loaner and sort these issues out.

Pity I have to go through all this. As I said in my first post, it's such an awesome vehicle. Still getting used to the fuel consumption though :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts