Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 02 Mklll L322 4.4 RR has developed an anoying loud squeak on the rear o/s suspension, I took it to a small local garage who had a quick look around it and sprayed WD40 all over the area but it still made no difference, he now says that he thinks that a part is worn and requires changing.... But I think that he's just guessing..... Have any of you got any idea as to what it could be ? Thanks a lot, Bren.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
What part? I have heard the bushings need to be changed if that happens.
I am in the middle of changing all the bushings on the rear suspension on my wifes MkIII right now. I could imagine a shop doing it, would be a spendy endeavor indeed. Labor wise, it's a pain, parts cost wise, it's cheap.

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Martin,
Thank you for your help, I'm not too sure which part he wants to change, but as you say it's probably the top & bottom bushes, do both sides require changing ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. Turned out that it was from a handbrake cable bushing. A drop of grease was all that was needed. It dries out after a while and comes back. It's most noticeable in the winter.

Chris

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
chris you must have horseshoes. do you know where that bushing is-ie under the rotor or external to it. ours has also started squeaking and I am sure it will be at least the bushings. Left lane, would like to hear how you make out if doing bushings only and replacing them or most of them on the car. I was wondering if there are any hand operated pressing tools that would do the removal and replacement of the bushings. Many thanks

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
I just finished ALL the rear bushings, and the 4 ball joints. Basically, everything on the rear end. Took 2 days, but they looked to be the OEM ones, so it is what it is I guess. Never thought it would take as long, but it was a fight. Just the ball joints would be an easy days work IMHO.
As far as tools go...
A 20 ton press is rather handy, but not a requirement I guess.
Various size tubing to remove and install the bushings, and some threaded rod, at least 1/2" grade 8, with 9/16" being better. I actually snapped 1/2" all thread 3 times on the lower ball joint on the passenger side!
Impact gun is nice, and not a cheap one. 21 and 18mm sockets and wrenches for the nuts and bolts, then various hand tools and alcohol!

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.