RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to add to all of the misery and problems i've been having over the past week I went out to start my car and charge the battery since it has a drain, I'm still waiting to see the mechanic but anyways I noticed I sprung a leak over night, it's a clear oily liquid i suspect brake or power steering fluid, it does have a slight green tint from what i can tell and its coming from the front of the engine bay. I thought it was coolant at first but it's not watery like coolant so I checked that one off the list. It's -10F today so maybe a line cracked somewhere, cold weather has really been messing with my car latley. What fluid do you guys suppose it is? I can take pictures if needed. If it's power steering maybe I can chug it 5 miles to my mechanic but if it's brake fluid i'm just gonna have it towed and not risk it. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
Was it a large quantity? If so it might be motor oil spewed out when engine was running. The oil drain hoses from the PCV/oil separator system turn to mush and the condensation in them freeze up causing oil back pressure. Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's enough to make a decent puddle but if it was oil or coolant i feel like it would be a lot more than what i'm currently seeing. Also it leaks only when I start and run the car, I haven't driven it since the leak started. I have an appointment with my mechanic tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this leak seems to have went almost as mysteriously as it came. My mechanic could only find traces of the fluid but could not determine where it came from or what it was, check all fluids and everything was in it's acceptable limits. Really stumped on this one, is there a secret container we might have missed that is now bone dry because it was quite a noticeable amount on the driveway. I swear these things do stuff just to get us stressed out as a prank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts