RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20180309_092428619.jpg

The one at the top is correct! This has been the cause of much grief and confusion. Unfortunately I can't say for certain where the wrong one came from because I re-used the connector on a 'generic' O2 sensor from eBay, but the things I do know are:
I swapped the wires over and it now works.
I bought an 'aftermarket' sensor from Rimmers and sent it back because it didn't work.

Now it gets a bit hazy:
I think Rimmers sent me another one and that didn't work either so I gave up with them and bought the eBay one. I can't say for certain the the wrongly wired connector came from the second Rimmer's sensor but it fits with the evidence. The car was running fine so it seems unlikely that the wrongly wired one was ever working properly on the car.

P.S. I'm putting this in a new thread in case anyone else has just bought a new sensor that doesn't work.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Oh ouch... Rates right up there with the secondary cooling pumps being wired backwards on some newer S/Cs... from the factory.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking at RAVE connector diagram, that shouldn't make any difference ? It looks like the top wires (pins 1 & 2, black & grey) connect to the ECU, so the only difference would be the phase of the cycling waveform ? Would need to see what colour wires are on the loom connector to be sure.

Maybe the connections were bad, and you swapping them sorted out the connectivity ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
The black wires on the sensors are the signal +ve wires to the ECU - and are on differently coloured wires on the wiring loom to the ECU. The grey (signal ground) wires are on identical coloured wires to the ECU (implying they might be connected internally to the ECU) so this would make a fairly big difference I would imagine if you had sensor GND from one bank and sensor +ve from the other connected the other way around - especially if the common coloured wires from the sensors are joined internally in the ECU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts