Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure how to distinguish but sometimes the Vehicle will shut off when I put it in park and thus skip the step where it would require me to press the start/stop button.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thats normal. It happens when you unlatch the seatbelt. It also puts itself in Park if you stand on the brakes then hit off, so you don't have to put in park. :thumb:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thats normal. It happens when you unlatch the seatbelt. It also puts itself in Park if you stand on the brakes then hit off, so you don't have to put in park. :thumb:
That is the only lovely thing about ECO S/S that I'm missing. I also noticed switching the car without shifting to 'P' results in unsmooth shifting, I wouldn't do that for a long time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I really hate this feature (actually I hate the entire ECO program).

The problem is that the whole car goes dead, including radio, bluetooth, climate, etc. as soon as you un-click that seatbelt.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,687 Posts
I actually like the feature. There is no reason for a car to sit idling at a 40 second stoplight. I turn the eco function off in stop and go traffic, but it enables me to average an overall 20.5 mpg including towing miles.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why can't they allow us to select for ourselves if we want it to default to on or off and then we can enable or disable it on a case by case basis? It's simple to do. It's just software. Personally I hate it and usually turn it off. I don't use the the car for small local errands most of the time. I am impatient in traffic and the BMW 335 hustles and zips around much better than this beast, so I use it for longer trips. Love it for road trips and going off the beaten path.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How come I can't always shut the car off by pressing the start/stop button by myself? Sometimes when in park it will shut off on its own and does not require me to press the stop button .. I never know whether the car is on or off... I always have to check the display screen to see if the car is on or off when I place it in P.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a hard time believing that repeated starting and stopping an engine does not decrease its longevity regardless of whatever technology is employed. There is inevitably less lubrication on the internal parts with each restart than there is when the engine continues to idle. And the fuel savings is deminimus

·
Registered
531 Posts
As an engineering student, I'd say it should, each time you start an engine it goes through transition stage quickly before reaching steady-state. At transition state, the system usually is more aggressive than steady state, like with vibrations.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I actually like the feature. There is no reason for a car to sit idling at a 40 second stoplight. I turn the eco function off in stop and go traffic, but it enables me to average an overall 20.5 mpg including towing miles.
Completely agree. I actually never turn it off.
Better get used to it, everyone. They will take away the little button where it can be disabled, eventually.
Blame it on the emission standards and fuel economy improvement laws.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
As an engineering student, I'd say it should, each time you start an engine it goes through transition stage quickly before reaching steady-state. At transition state, the system usually is more aggressive than steady state, like with vibrations.
It is clearly an engineering problem that I'm pretty sure Mercedes, JLR and the others have appropriate solutions for.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How come I can't always shut the car off by pressing the start/stop button by myself? Sometimes when in park it will shut off on its own and does not require me to press the stop button .. I never know whether the car is on or off... I always have to check the display screen to see if the car is on or off when I place it in P.
Any input regarding this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I know there is a push button to turn it off on a drive by drive basis, but I wonder if the dealer can permanently turn it off. Anyone know?
You can. there is a secondary battery behind the passenger side cargo trim. Disconnect the negative on that battery and the Auto S/S function is disabled. No warning lights, it's just off until you reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,687 Posts
I have a hard time believing that repeated starting and stopping an engine does not decrease its longevity regardless of whatever technology is employed. There is inevitably less lubrication on the internal parts with each restart than there is when the engine continues to idle. And the fuel savings is deminimus
When I am ready to put the car in park and shut off the motor, I just shut the motor off with the on-off button while the car is in D. The transmission automatically goes into park, just set the brake and be gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.