RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. I test drove the HSE and assumed that the ride quality and steering would be the same in the SC. I thought the only difference would be power and standard equipment. I now have found reviews saying the SC is

“very fatiguing” – Automobile Magazine

“there is a slight jitteriness to the S/C car's ride, even in normal mode, and the quicker steering ratio makes it feel a bit too quick off center” – Motor Trend

Is this the case as I notice both reviews were done on pre-production models.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
To ease or verify your concerns, I would test drive a very similarly configured car to what you want to buy before plunking down 75 large. jmho.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that all the dealers are currently sold out so there are no SC's to test drive. According to information I was given, the suspension is the same so I don’t know why the two would drive differently.

At the end of the day, I just want to confirm with anyone who owns a 2010 Sport SC, that in normal driving conditions the car is comfortable and effortless to drive. My friend has an ML63 that I find unbearable unless you are wearing a kidney belt.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
JetPilot said:
According to information I was given, the suspension is the same so I don’t know why the two would drive differently.
Well, the S/C has "Adaptive Dynamics", aka electronically controlled Bilstein dampers, and "Dynamic Response", aka electronically controlled sway bars - neither options are available on HSE trims - which, in conjunction with Terrain Response's Dynamic program exclusive to the Supercharged and 20" rims (the HSE has 19" as stockers) could all contribute in making the ride stiffer than a plain vanilla HSE in a real-world test drive. Whether the stiffness translates to jitteriness (is that even a word?) is probably quite subjective. I could definitely feel the difference back in 2006 when I test drove both models, and compared to my HSE back then the S/C only had Dynamic Response and 20s, no fancy DampTronic damper valves as it does now, so... I agree with goosey that if ride comfort is a concern (as it should), you should probably be patient and wait until a S/C becomes available for a thorough test drive before committing to buy one. A lot of technology designed to make the S/C RRS handle like a sports car may turn out turn to be incompatible with your backside. :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice. For the record I think you are right, “jitteriness” is not a word but that was Motor Trends little gem, not mine. :wink:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I cant speak on the 2010's, becuase I haven't driven either, but I did have an 06 SC for 18k miles, and traded it in for an 08 HSE. At the time I lived in DC, and did a lot of stop and go driving, and the SC was just way to jerky for me. The SC would begin to wind up, then traffic would slow or stop, and I felt like the truck was jerking forward as I was trying to stop. The supercharger in the 06 was extremely loud as well. Too much cabin noise for me on a daily basis. Now don't get me wrong, I miss that pull on the highway when I need to pass, or get out in front of someone, but Im personally happier with the HSE. Just my .02.

·
Registered
318 Posts
maxwell said:
I cant speak on the 2010's, becuase I haven't driven either, but I did have an 06 SC for 18k miles, and traded it in for an 08 HSE. At the time I lived in DC, and did a lot of stop and go driving, and the SC was just way to jerky for me. The SC would begin to wind up, then traffic would slow or stop, and I felt like the truck was jerking forward as I was trying to stop. The supercharger in the 06 was extremely loud as well. Too much cabin noise for me on a daily basis. Now don't get me wrong, I miss that pull on the highway when I need to pass, or get out in front of someone, but Im personally happier with the HSE. Just my .02.

If you learn how to roll and feather the pedal, the S/C is very easy to drive in traffic. It's got a roots blower, it wants to make power right off the line so you just need to show it who's boss by backing off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know anybody with a 2010? I can live with traffic. The big issue is on the weekends I drive 2 1/2 hour (highway doing about 140 kph). I just want to put the thing on cruise control and relax. When I read an article that says it is “very fatiguing” I get nervous.

I have emailed the dealer and told them I need them to get a Super Charged in for me to try (my order is not due in for three months so I have time) but a 10 minute drive around the block may not answer my question. Somebody with a 2010 SC who has driven long distances probably can.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
If you update your profile with your location, someone local might chime in and offer a test drive...

Where in the world is JetPilot?

`)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Where in the world is JetPilot?
I'm gonna take a stab at this, :think:

Clue #1: kph...somewhere in Canada...doh.
Clue #2: 140 kph...that's pushing it in Ontario esp on the QEW, helllllooooo OPP
Clue #3: 2.5 hrs each weekend (again a strike against Ontario, 2.5 hrs south is Buffalo--nobody goes there, 2.5 hrs northwest its very remote and ditto, 2.5 hrs due east is the middle of Lake Ontario)

I'm going with Calgary. :dance:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just took delivery of RR Sport SC and drove it aprox 2.5 hrs on highway back to CT from RI. There is nothing jittery or fatiguing in the least with this vehicle. My wife has 06 full size HSE w/ 20" wheels, and I found the highway drive quite similar. I also drove most of ride with dynamic setting on, and this is a just a great vehicle. Sportier in overall driver feedback and more nimble than the full size HSE, but in my opinion this is a positive not negative attribute. The stereo is very nice (although a tad less powerful than wife's), the redone interior is a very comfortable and ergonomic environment, not only on highway but around town it's very quiet, no rattles, and the power is over the top when u need it. I convinced I bought the perfect all around vehicle for me. I looked at X5 M and Cayenne GTS before buying, and couldn't justify another $10-15k for either when I loved everything about the 2010 SC sport. Motor Trend, in my opinion, is third rate and has a strong bmw bias.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gooseyloosey

Classic … just made my day.

1. Yes … Toronto, Ontario – Canada
2. Posted highway speed limit is 100kph. In Ontario there is a “Street Racing” law. If you get busted doing 50 over your car is impounded on the spot and you lose your license for 3 days so I can go 149kph and just get a really big fine that my friend can get knocked down to “failure to obey a sign”.
3. I have a cottage 2 1/2 hours north in Muskoka Ontario on Lake Joe. They are holding the G8 summit there this spring. I’ll give Obama your regards.

Moodyblue

Exactly the input I was looking for. What messed me up was the “fatigue” comment was from Automobile Magazine. The rest was Motor Trend who I agree is best used for lining ones bird cage. Keep me up to date as you get more time to play with it.

The Range Rover looked to be the best choice by far. For perfection they just need to add:

- Remote Start (I am sure New Jersey would agree with the Canadian on this one)
- Remote Tail Gate
- Traffic on the Navigation
- 6 CD Disk Changer

FYI: Jet Pilot refers to the fact my favorite hobby is my two stand up jet skis (hate sit down … floating couches)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
JetPilot said:
- 6 CD Disk Changer
That was standard up to MY09s, and I will miss the in-dash changer whenever I let go of my 2006. iPods and MP3s are convenient but can't hold a candle to a compact disc in sound quality. :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
:doh:

I can't believe I got this soooo wrong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can't speak to the HSE, but have had my 2010 RR Sport SC since just before xmas last year ... and we just did a Los Gatos -> San Diego and back trip last weekend (about 480mi ea way + in town driving for a couple of days = approx. 1100 mi in 4 days). TONS of highway, TONS of traffic (LA) and tons of mixed driving. Went down I5 and came back on Rt 1/101.

Overall: quite pleased. I don't think its fatiguing at all - in fact, I couldn't leave Thurs until 11am, which put me in LA at 5pm which means Thurs was 9hrs of seat time for me, my wife and the two labs. Stopped 1x for gas - so 2 approx 4-5 hr stretches on the way down. All no worse for the wear. I will say that I drive with it in adaptive 90% of the time, but on long stretches with bumpy roads etc, I found myself putting it on the "normal" (don't remember what its called) susp. setting. Took a bit of the sting out of the bumps. I do think the short wheelbase makes it a bit twitchier in comparison to its competitors - but not so much so that it felt wrong, bad or too fatiguing to me.

I have to say, you've got to love the power of this thing - would sprint out ahead of groups, then settle down and set the cruise at non-ticket range. Drove as quick as 115mph, but more typically 75-80. Also love the brakes - driving around a place I'm not so familiar in after work traffic was an exercise in patience & attentive driving - along with generous use of those big brakes as people bobbed and weaved around us.

The one downside is that the cockpit is a bit more cramped than my Cayenne (I'm 6'2" 200#)

Finally, all the electronics make it a pleasure for road tripping: phone's plugged in and hands free, SAT radio playing the CoffeeHouse almost all the way, Nav works great if you program before you start moving (help me understand why a passenger can't input while moving?!). All in all: great vehicle that we had previously only driven about 30 min at a stretch. Wouldn't hesitate to take it on every road trip or reccomend that someone else does the same or just uses for a daily driver.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Seano said:
Nav works great if you program before you start moving (help me understand why a passenger can't input while moving?!).
Cause corporations have to assume (with good reason) that people do not have common sense and that the driver would end up using it while driving. People do some stupid, stupid things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great feedback. If all goes well mine should come in around April / May. Not too many people take the adaptive cruise control so I had to factory order it. As well, the supplier who makes the 5x camera system went out of business so they had to delay putting my order in until the new supplier was up and running.

I’ve read in three articles that it has a 6 CD changer but others say it is only one … how many will it take? Does the rear entertainment system make a difference because that’s the only option I did not get.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My literature suggested I had an in-dash changer, but the player will only use one at a time (and there is nothing on the display to indicated otherwise).

As far as adaptive goes - I was specifically referring to the suspension setting that the SC has - firms the car up quite a bit and makes it much crisper for cornering. As you can imagine, also feels a bit harsher at times. I don't have the adaptive cruise control.

The only options that I've got are leather dash & HD radio (I think Sat radio is on all of them, right?)

Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts