Range Rovers Forum banner

SPORT Button not working

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mark.a 
#1 ·
Hi did a search andd could find anything with my specific problem.

When im in lo range my sport button works
When im in high my sport button does not work or even light up

Im wondering if it could be a loose ground or connector I had a look at ETM in rave and I dont understand it to much if someone could give me a connector or ground point to check I would appreciate it.

#2 ·
It does different things when you're in Low Range. In LW it forces the box to lock into a gear, hence why it says Sport/Manual, this allows you to pull away in 3rd etc. In HR it changes the shift pattern, this is all in the software and it's safe to assume the gearbox ecu is receiving the signal due to the fact it works in manual mode so you can rule out a loose connection.

So to confirm, when you press the button in HR it doesn't light up, and it doesn't say sport mode on the dash?

Dan

#5 ·
Just had a dig around in the RAVE workshop manual, nothing... but I know from recent electrical work I had to do on mine to restore Range shift (bought all screwed up) that the sport/manual is connected to becm and trans ECU.

If a certain function within gearbox is not ideal it wont go in sport mode, wiring loom on gearbox could be checked out for plug connections etc.

Might pay to try another Trans ECU to see if it does function but if it is ECU you cant just take another ECU and just use it due to adaptive pressures being different on othe trans (each wears differently) the ecu stores this info for the autobox it was operating.

Its ok to briefly try it out but not for very far, Rave goes onto say extensive damage will occur if you do

#10 ·
Hi,
I have a similar problem - Sport and manual modes work fine with all correct messages showing on the dash with the ignition on but the engine NOT running.
As soon as the engine is started, sport and manual modes no longer work.
Do I need a new Trans ecu or is it just a case of getting fault codes cleared using testbook?

I have recently had a few gearbox fault messages that were caused by a poor battery - could these be causing the lock out of sport and manual mode when the engine is running?
Cheers
Jay

#12 ·
Discovered an interesting thing......
Car has an LPG conversion - sportmode and manual work fine when petrol selected but not if LPG selected !!!

In order to engage sport mode when running on LPG I first have to change over to petrol, select mode, then change back to LPG.

#13 ·
Going to take the old girl in tomorrow to see if there are any fault codes, another idea I had is that how can you test to see if the problem isnt eminanting from the controll mechanism that surround the selector lever? They are pretty cheap so maybe I should just swap it and see what happens?

#15 ·
I have heard of some less than reputable LPG installers who p*ss about with the sport mode to stop misfires. I don't know if that's true - just something I was told once. I have a Bigas N LPG system on a Cosworth 4.6 and in sport mode it goes like a scalded cat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.