Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there,

To add to the list of problems on my RR Sport;) the rear offside door wont open, i have disassembled the door panel and all the other bits n bobs to try to get the door open but to no avail.....when i pull the cable from the inside door handle its meant to click to unlock then pull to open, it springs back on the unlock stage....car key button and unlock button doesn't help the door remains locked...im kinda thinking im gonna have to go hardcore demolition soon, but hoping someone has the solution to get the door open so im assuming then best course of action is to replace the locking mechanism.

Thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
re: Range Rover Sport back door wont open :(

Assuming you can open the top part of the tailgate, open then forcefully slam it closed. Then try opening the whole tailgate

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts

How would that help open the left rear door?

·
Registered
315 Posts

Since when is "offside"=left ?

Thought he is referring to the rear main tailgate. Nonetheless, considering what he otherwise plans to do, how could it hurt to try my suggestion... `8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have give it a good carefull kicking from the inside, shoving door, rattling handles while turning the locking on and off in a hope to free it, but to no avail;) the lock clicks when the central locking is activated im thinking i may have to cut inner dor skin behind door panel then destroy the lock and replace...but wanna get a few opinions first as i think that isn't going to be easy or without alotta pain

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

It sounds as if the child safety latch is engaged and the exterior pull is disconnected. It's very very rare that a door latch breaks and won't release.

I don't know if you can access with door closed but try to flip the tab for child safety a few times. You can look on other rest door for location and possibly be able to get to it from inside door shell. Then try to actuate latch to open door. If it is an electrical lock failure trace the lock cable to latch inside and ensure it's unlocking and not just clicking and staying locked.

Don't start cutting holes in the shell. You may need to take it into a good tech or collision shop and they can dismantle latch without destroying door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ah, cant get to child lock from the inside, tho we tried the other back door and with child lock on or off, the cable movement feels different.

The cables are intact and it clicks when central locking is operated, so im thinking its a internal mechanical fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts

It sounds like a failure of the door lock actuator. Really not sure how you would be able to access it without removing the inner door card and obviously to do that you need to open the door.
Maybe try having someone trying to open the door form the latch in the door whilst you try to unlock with the button on the dash?
Look here for how to carry out replacement on a Discovery 3 (essentially the same as an RRS) - http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Rear_Door_Latch_Replacement

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Managed to get a lock off ebay, my thoughts was if i can see one infront of me i can try to figure if i can unlock it from inside the door.

Good news is the door card, and electric window motor all comes off without opening the door, and i have managed to bend part of a plate on the lock to get at the door puller cable arm on the lock.

I can manually open the replacement lock off the vehicle, but the lock on the vehicle seems broke, as it wont unlock when manually pulling the lever. Im gonna have more of a play with it...will take some pics and upload, just incase someone else gets the same problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok sorted it, lock was broke, looks like the actuator that electronically locks and unlocks the door was jammed, i had to destroy the lock to open the door so i could replace the lock. Sounds hard....we'll here is an awesome trick...

I started destroying the part of the lock i could get to with a drill, nothing happend, i decided i would have to drill out an inspection hole to get at the lock,to destroy it so me more. I decided whilst drilling to go through inner door skin ( thats hidden by the door trim) and go straight through the lock too... My second drill hole destroyed part of the actuator that was causing the problem;) on the image its the highest drill hole....so if your lock gets stuck...drill in this area will unlock the jam and its all hidden by your door panel;)

Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle Tire Car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

And this is what damage i done to the lock...big nasty hole was the part of the lock i could see, the other holes are the two drill holes i made through the inner door skin...

I hope this helps someone out, when my door lock jammed i figured it would turn into a nightmare, and an expensive one at that. Also not sure if i mentioned the door trim panel comes off without having to open the door so its not as bad as you would think.
Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive window part Machine Wheel

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
Re: Range Rover Sport back door wont open :(

Thanks, great information. I have exactly the same problem on the left rear door. I have removed the trim panel and waiting for the new lock to arrive before attempting to free the lock by drilling into it as you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Had to make a more substantial hole to break open the rear left door lock with a 44mm hole saw as small holes did not work. After breaking into the lock it allowed me to open the door and replace the defective lock assembly. Cleaned up the hole and painted the edge to stop rust and covered with duct tape. All working correctly again. Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Rim Auto part Automotive exterior Engine

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts

well don't do it then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello I write from Italy. I have the same problem but I cannot remove the internal door panel. Is there a particular procedure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
For anyone else finding themselves here, I found an easier way to destroy the lock and open the door.

If you reach in and push the bottom of the unit toward the inner and outer door skins as hard as you can you will hear it crack a bit. Then hold the bottom of it like a pistol and wrench it up toward the top of the door and the bottom half will split leaving the metal part in the door which will now be open. Took me seconds.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gesture Personal protective equipment Automotive design

Cheers
Stot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts