RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2006 RRSC with 97k miles.

As far as I can tell my tranny is shifting perfectly.. smooth shifts etc.. I don't however have SPORT or MANUAL mode when moving the shift lever to the left side. It just stays in Drive with no change from D to S on the dash. The indicator lights on the P R N D work intermittently (they work when the headlights are on and don't when they are off, not sure if that means anything).. With the headlights on or off the S/M light never comes or nor does the transmission go into those modes..

Using my Bluetooth OBDII code reader and "Torque" program did not pull any codes. When putting the lever in Manual mode and shifting up and holding for a second I do get a "transmission fault" on the dash but my reader doesn't pick up any codes..

Not seeing this as something that happens commonly as I'm not finding anything in regards to this problem but any help is appreciated as always.

Loving the RR by the way..

Thanks in advance for any advice on where to start looking for the problem.

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this for a little help.. anybody in the know have any ideas on No sport or manual mode in an otherwise seemingly functioning Tranny? Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The magnets for the tiptronic gate get detached. Pull the bezel and take a look.
Yep, pulled the bezel off and one of the two electrical connectors was unplugged. Sport, manual and the shift gate indication lights all working again.. Thanks for your help!
Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2003 l322 does the same.. the only difference is when u put it in sport it shows the present gear(1 2 3 4 5).., but it dnt shift manually by lever .. cheked all the connectors.. all fine.. shifts perfectly in auto mode..
Any suggestions pl

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2003 l322 does the same.. the only difference is when u put it in sport it shows the present gear(1 2 3 4 5).., but it dnt shift manually by lever .. cheked all the connectors.. all fine.. shifts perfectly in auto mode..
Any suggestions pl
Still having the same problem without any clue...
No sport mode on dash..
M/S Lights on when lever to the left but dnt go in sport ..:(

·
Registered
996 Posts
From the WorkShop Manual;

When the selector lever is moved to the M/S position, the Bowden cable to the transmission is mechanically disconnected at
the shifter. If left in Sport mode all gear changes are performed automatically. If Manual (CommandShift) mode is selected,
all gear changes are based on switched ground inputs received by the TCM from the Manual +/- CommandShift switch.
The selector mechanism houses the following components:
Manual +/- CommandShift switch
Shift interlock solenoid
High/Low range selector switch
Hill Descent Control (HDC) switch
Selector position LED display
Selector lever position switch
Manual/Sport switch
Key interlock mechanism.
There are four selector lever positions and two additional positions for manual/sport operation:
P (Park) - Prevents the vehicle from moving by locking the transmission
R (Reverse) - Select only when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is at idle - selects reverse direction
N (Neutral) - No torque transmitted to drive wheels
D (Drive) - This position uses all six forward gears in high and low ranges
M/S (Sport mode) - This position uses all six forward gears as in 'D', but will upshift at higher engine speeds improving
acceleration
+ and - ('CommandShift' mode) - Movement of the selector lever in the +/- positions, when the lever is in the M/S
position, will operate the transmission in manual (CommandShift) mode, allowing the driver to manually select all six
forward gears.
- The selector lever position is displayed to the driver on the selector position LED display and in the instrument
cluster. In 'CommandShift' mode, if a gear is selected, but the TCM logic prevents selection of that gear, the
requested gear is initially displayed. The TCM will engage the next allowed gear and then display that gear.
Manual +/- CommandShift Switch
The manual +/- switch is located on the left hand side of the selector lever assembly. The switch comprises a housing which
provides the location for a sliding contact. When the selector lever is moved to the manual/sport position, a dog on the lever
engages with a slotted abutment on the switch sliding contact. When the lever is moved to the + or - position the dog moves
the switch completing a momentary earth circuit with one of two microswitches at each end of the switch which correspond to
the + or - positions.
This momentary signal is received by the TCM which, on first operation of the switch, initiates manual mode and operates the
transmission in the selected gear.
In this position, a spring will move the selector lever to the center position when released.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts