RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so....i finally solved my overheating issue in last thread...thanks guys.
Thought i was in to enjoy my RR from today but i was dead wrong....seems literally to be one thing after the other with this car. I still have high hopes though.
After my overheatingproblem was solved today, everything seemed fine until i proceeded to go out this evening. I pull out of the basement and 1min later car starts stuttering. Christmas lights all go on and the car will not respond to the accelerator. It would only move on its own when in drive or reverse but stepping on the accelerator did not effect the car or make it move faster as it shoudld or at all. Lord have mercy... :( "I think the engine failsafe prog"also came but disappeared. I park the car, shut it off thinking maybe it was just an electrical discharge that can be fixed by switching ignition off and on but NOPE....after shutting car off, it would not start again.

Turning the ignition brings up the usual ligths on the dash but turning the key to start the engine and nothing happens.Nothing at all...no crank, no sound , no click.
like something has been disabled.
I left it or an hour and then unhooked the negative head for a few mins but nothing....

I did notice a kind of burnt wire smell from under the hood but no smoke or whatnot...it was coming from the area below the expansion tank. Am thinking the dripping water from the bursted tank last week got some water to some electrical component....

anybody have any experience with this kind of situation.....i know there are better days ahead this car.Am getting to realise that this car is very sensitive and intergrated. one tiny thing causes a big problem.
i will be getting it towed to my mechanic tomorrow....but greatly appreciate any insight now.

Thanks
olddog

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
The only time that this has happen to me, was when my alternator failed. I was limping it home by running on just the battery, and when the battery was just about drained the car would go into the fail safe mode.

Check to make sure that you battery is up (doesn't sound like it is}, with all the coolant that has been sprayed around in you engine compartment I would guess that the alternator is not getting a grip on the belt... Burning (Ozone) smell is not a good. Even if you don't see smoke.

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE...just in case anyone experiences a similar situation.
it was the thermostart that got fried.
got a new one in and all is well. car is smooth as hell...loving it

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
olddog said:
UPDATE...just in case anyone experiences a similar situation.
it was the thermostart that got fried.
got a new one in and all is well. car is smooth as hell...loving it
Have you not learned anything here? Do Not Post a Succesfull fix... It will just come back and bit you in the B---. :)

Mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts