RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of buying new tie rod assembly/ tie rod ends, has anyone made their own from spherical bearings/spacers? I've got lots 4130 tubing and sphericals laying around and figured I'd save some money. They should be just as strong as rod ends. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! I can't believe I'm the first to think of this! I know everyone's just mulling over an answer. I must be brilliant!`)

Seriously, all thoughts are appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
It hasn;t even been 24 hours and you are bumping this? Since you are asking for all thoughts, here is mine. Tie rod ends are cheap. Why much around with something that is going to take hours of futzing when you can install tried and true units quickly and usually somewhat easily. Then no matter what you do you still have an alignment to add to the picture.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response, RR. Yes, I bumped prior to 24 hours as I am in the middle of replacing bushings with DIY poly bushings and thought, why not re-do the whole front end (new-to-me-truck)?

If you look at my previous threads/posts, you'll see I like to tinker-best way to learn something new and then share with other like-minded folks that like the whole DIY thing. Like I said, I already have all the pieces, was more-so thinking I'd get thoughts from others who may have already tried- plus/minuses.

Yes, an alignment is in order, although I'm not quite sure how that plays into my question?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just a thought - even if you can create such an item what will it do to your insurance cover. Over here steering and brakes must use ´bolt on and designed for that machine´ mods or else built by an approved engineer. Otherwise the insurance companies can (and will) use ´un-approved´ mods as a way to refuse to pay out.

Something to think about
Rowan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AH! Good point, Rowant. Fortunately, my insurance covers modifications, although I'm not quite sure how they'd look at this one. Biggest issue out here in Southern California are emissions laws. A lot of these emissions referees are hardcore!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts